How much CO2 (psi) is in a 5# CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
I was just wondering how much co2 was in a 5# tank (in psi). I received one from Midwest Brew Supply and filled it here in town. When I connected the dual gauge I saw it was 700psi, is that normal at full pressure?
Seems small since the regulator goes up to 2000 but I really have no idea.

You need to realize that you bought a 5 POUND co2 tank. Not a 2000psi tank :D

Co2 is filled by weight because it is a liquid. The presser (psi) in the tank will fluctuate with temperature. Mine reads a constant 600psi in the red zone until she's empty because I keep it in the fridge with the kegs. Therefore it stay as a liquid and doesn't have the pressure. Whereas when my wife got it filled it sat in the garage at ~80 degrees. It was extremely light and I thought she forgot to fill it while I was at work. Because the co2 expended to gas.

Yes, the answer is it depends on the temperature. PSI on the gauge has very little to do with how much liquid is actually in the tank.

Hehe, I kinda figured it was something like that. Mine too is in the fridge and it is at ~600psi I guess it was the redline that says "fiil soon" that made me question. Thanks

so, my 5lb co2 is in the fridge right now and its reading 600psi. this is my first batch on a brand new filled co2 tank. i was just wondering how many batches i can get, or roughly what everybody else gets, before their co2 is completely empty?

so, my 5lb co2 is in the fridge right now and its reading 600psi. this is my first batch on a brand new filled co2 tank. i was just wondering how many batches i can get, or roughly what everybody else gets, before their co2 is completely empty?

6-8 kegs depending....

It depends on whether you use it to force carb, or just push the beer, and if you use it to seal kegs, etc. Generally, though, a 5 pounder lasts me about 5-7 kegs.

You need to realize that you bought a 5 POUND co2 tank. Not a 2000psi tank :D

Co2 is filled by weight because it is a liquid. The presser (psi) in the tank will fluctuate with temperature. Mine reads a constant 600psi in the red zone until she's empty because I keep it in the fridge with the kegs. Therefore it stay as a liquid and doesn't have the pressure. Whereas when my wife got it filled it sat in the garage at ~80 degrees. It was extremely light and I thought she forgot to fill it while I was at work. Because the co2 expended to gas.
Cool. You just rewrote all physics laws at once just because your wife left the CO2 tank in the garage.

IMG_1559.jpeg

A paid member who last posted in October 2020. I mean, I certainly wouldn't say that I'm not enjoying it a little bit myself. Just wondering what the expectation might have been.

Since the thread is old (and it might not matter), I have an off topic question.

Can a Coke 2L, 20oz, or similar bottle be used as a temporary "co2 bottle"? I've wondered if there would be a way to use that in place of those co2 cartridges for a portable setup. It'd be cheaper than those SodaStream bottles too.

Check out this video of when this 2L bottle fails.

Some of the comments suggest soda is carbed at 60psi. The bottle failed at over 12 bars (174psi). I'm wondering if a Coke bottle can hold "enough" gas for just a 1 gallon keg. I've seen some videos were 2L bottles are pushed to their limit. They swell a huge amount before bursting, then found the above short.

Of course before anyone screams about how unsafe that might be, I have not attempted it or will if it's not. I'm just spitballing and asking if it's feasible. It's mainly for a single use item to push beer out of a small 1 gallon keg.

Back