How much carbonation for a Belgian Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maida7

Reaction score
What is an appropriate carbonation level for a Belgian dubbel. There seams to be a wild range of info on this. anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5. I'm guessing I would lean toward a higher carbonation level. Seams like all the commercial examples I remember having were very bubbly. What do you think?

I don't see that type of info on beer advocate. I even joined the site and logged in as a member and I still don't see anything about carbonation levels. There is food pairings, proper glassware, serving temps, and lots of examples of commercial beers in the style but nothing on carbonation levels.

Hmmm... it seems that I have lied to you :) I thought that is where I found it...

Where I actually found the answer to your question was in the Beersmith software. It gives carbonation guidelines for each style, and I was under the impression that those numbers came from BJCP style guidelines.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

After browsing through some of these, I did not find any carbonation guidelines, so now I have no idea where those numbers come from. I apologize for creating this confusion. I do not know where those numbers come from now other than from the Beersmith software...

hmm in the BJCP description is says medium to high carbonation. So maybe 2.5 to 3.0 volumes is appropriate? Has anybody else made a dubbel? How did you carb it?

I don't have a dual regulator for my kegging setup so I pretty much have a standard 2.5 carbonation for everything. I have a dubbel on tap at the moment and its pretty darn perfect imo.

I also have the single regulator but I only serve one beer at a time so I can mess with the pressure.

In Brewing Classic Styles, JZ calls for 3 to 4 volumes for a Dubbel. Seems pretty high, but who am I to argue with the Pope? Since the OP is kegging it'd be pretty easy to adjust this on the fly anyway. I think I'd be inclined to shoot for the high 2's to start then dial it up if needed.

If you can find a copy of 'brew like a monk' it gives co2 volumes for a lot of the Belgian beers. You can sort of decide what you want for yours by comparing it to some beers listed there that you may be familiar with.

I was in the same situation with my dark strong. The BJCP guidelines don't offer a lot of info besides 'medium' or 'high' and the calculators say dark strong should be like 2.5. But BLAM gives specific volumes, and what I am trying to copy is supposed to be 3.5 volumes. Big difference and definitely worth playing around with IMO.

How much priming sugar is 3 Volumes for a 5 gallon batch? And is there a calculation to figure out what the volume equates to?

1 volume is the same amount of gas as the liquid that it's going into. So to have one volume in 5 gallons of beer you would need to dissolve 5 gallons of CO2. I believe the volume of CO2 is measured at atmospheric pressure.

3 volumes is 15 gallons of gas and that's a lot of bubbles.

Latest posts

Back