Belgian Dubbel Vols - kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob_Brewer

Reaction score
So Im curious what others are doing with these belgian dubbels. Ive read online that belgian dubbels are typically 2.3-2.9vols here (and other sources) Carbonation Levels For Different Beer Styles - Home Brew Answers . I have a belgian dubbel that has been on tap now for 9days and set to 2.5 vols and wasn't satisfied compared to my fav belgian dubbel examples (Rochefort 6 and Westmalle Dubbel) which seem to be north of 3.0vols out of the bottle. So I forgot that I had the BLAM ebook on my kindle and sure enough, it suggests that Westmalle targets 3-4vols at bottling. So, while I am kegging, I have an independent regulator on this beer, and based on carbonation charts and my keezer which averages 39 degrees F +/- 1 degree or so, today I set the psi to 19 to target 3.1-3.21vols (38-40 range). SO just curious what others target their vols to for their belgian dubbels. TYIA!

Hi NB. I am not quite so technical in my keg carbonation - I tend to need to carb things up quickly to serve at an event or party and am lucky to get close to what I'm aiming for LOL.

That being said, I always aim for the high carbonation in any Belgian I brew. To me, that is one of the distinguishing factors of a Belgian style and it enhances the drinkability. Dry, easy to drink, highly carbonated, and deceptively strong (at least the bigger styles).

I carb my occasional Dubbel the same as other beer styles, i.e. to 5.3 g/l of CO2. I think references to beers carbonated to 4 vols are just urban legend. Pouring even such a highly attenuated beer as a Dubbel at that carbonation level would be quite the experience and would get tiresome really fast.

I carb my occasional Dubbel the same as other beer styles, i.e. to 5.3 g/l of CO2. I think references to beers carbonated to 4 vols are just urban legend. Pouring even such a highly attenuated beer as a Dubbel at that carbonation level would be quite the experience and would get tiresome really fast.

I have bottle carbonated Belgian style beers at 4 volumes and at 5 volumes, in champagne bottles. They pour ok. I don't pour them as "hard" as other beers, but it's no big deal IMO.

As coincidence would have it, I just listened to the Doug Piper crowdcast with Sven Dekleermaeker, the brewer at Duvel, and remembered this thread. Per Sven, Duvel is carbonated to 8.5 g/L, which if my math is right, is about 4.3 Volumes.

As coincidence would have it, I just listened to the Doug Piper crowdcast with Sven Dekleermaeker, the brewer at Duvel, and remembered this thread. Per Sven, Duvel is carbonated to 8.5 g/L, which if my math is right, is about 4.3 Volumes.
Just to follow up from my original post. I think this carbonation level is perfect for the belgian dubbel. Luckily I had a comparison (Rochefort 6) to compare it to as well. I think the R6 is a tad higher, but Im satisfied with the 19psi targeting 3.1-3.21 vols based on my keezer temp ranging from 38-40 degrees F. Had some extra length of my EVAbarrier liquid line that I needed to install to get a good pour and balance it out. Used Mike Soltys blog to determine line length: Determining Proper hose length for your Kegerator that website is gold! Cheers! Bad lighting of the pic as it doesn't show the true color of the beer very well, but did a short pour just because its friday and show off the head. The true color is in the other pic taken last week when I decided the carb level wasn't where it needed to be. The higher carbonation level definitely helps with accentuating the maltiness and mouthfeel for this style and it doesn't even have that carb "bite" I was a little worried Id get going this high . Very happy. Thanks for the comments!

IMG_9420.jpg
IMG_9409.jpg

Just to follow up from my original post. I think this carbonation level is perfect for the belgian dubbel. Luckily I had a comparison (Rochefort 6) to compare it to as well. I think the R6 is a tad higher, but Im satisfied with the 19psi targeting 3.1-3.21 vols based on my keezer temp ranging from 38-40 degrees F. Had some extra length of my EVAbarrier liquid line that I needed to install to get a good pour and balance it out. Used Mike Soltys blog to determine line length: Determining Proper hose length for your Kegerator that website is gold! Cheers! Bad lighting of the pic as it doesn't show the true color of the beer very well, but did a short pour just because its friday and show off the head. The true color is in the other pic taken last week when I decided the carb level wasn't where it needed to be. The higher carbonation level definitely helps with accentuating the maltiness and mouthfeel for this style and it doesn't even have that carb "bite" I was a little worried Id get going this high . Very happy. Thanks for the comments!

I've got an oak aged Belgian Dark Stong Ale in the keezer right now. It's at about 2.6 volumes (keg primed with sugar) and tastes great, but I think the extra carbonation will do it right. I just put it on gas and am going to bring it up to 3.2 volumes.

I was also concerned about carbonic bite, but great to hear you didn't encounter an issue at that higher carb level.

Here's a pic of what it looks like right now at the lower volume. Think it'll do well with that extra bit of CO2 for that extra fluffy head.
20240225_195801.jpg

Back