How much can rhizomes stay alive during shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hello guys,

i ordered some hop rhizomes from willingham-nurseries.co.uk (i live in Europe) and they sent them on march 6, but didn't arrived yet. Do you think that the long shipping duration could affect the rhizomes? Do any of you have similar experiences?

I had some rhizomes that barely first year, i ended up having to dig them up and stored them in a garbage bag for over a month before i remembered to plant them. The next year they popped right up and produced a few ounces of hops each. that is to say they're extremely hardy, i wouldn't worry

sent some to Texas last year, got the wrong address and three weeks later they came back. Sure they were not kept cool, planted them all 12 came up and did great.

Hi,
The first package never arrived. The guy from willingham nurseries sent me another one and i received it this week. The rhizomes were alive, with buds and little roots. One even had leaves, but the leaves had withered after i planted them.

2014-04-22 11.36.31.jpg

A quick reply, the Spalter Select died, but the WGV and Styrian Goldings are doing fine, they even have cones :-D

Back