How much 2 month old slurry for 6 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Just as the title says.
How much slurry, in liter/quart volume, will I need to pitch on a 6 gallon Lager ferment?

I have about 2 quarts in a jug.

Mr Malty is saying 3.8 liters...really?
Does the viability really fall off that much that fast?

thanks Kevin

Thanks for the reply.
What viability do you think 2 month old slurry has?

Apparently a lot more than mrmalty says :)

thanks Kevin

2 month old slurry kept cold is just fine. i've used 8 month old slurry, no starter and it worked like any other yeast. not saying you should keep it that long, i don't anymore, but it is possible.

I just used about 4 cups of 8 month old slurry from a combination of Belgian yeasts and it took off like crazy. Kept it in the fridge the entire time. 5 gallon carboy exploded three times at 66F. Who would have known?

Guys,

Don't forget that the calculations on Mr.Malty are based on directly collected & reused slurry and not a harvested slurry that has been left to settle and any top layer of beer poured away.

That 3.8L is the slurry amount and the viability will be variable from batch to batch depending on age, hence a much larger volume is suggested. I wouldnt like to repitch slurry/yeast that old without a starter.

The cup measurements that these guys are giving you is likely a value based on the sedimented yeast fraction.

ForumRunner_20131226_115442.jpg

If I shook that up it would be 150ml of slurry with a rather low concentration of yeast cells and about 7% non yeast percentage (the darker layer on top of the yeast, under the beer)

If I just collected the yeast fraction I would obviously need a lot less in terms of volume.

The slurry calculator on mr malty default settings are for slurry and not just scooping the yeast fraction.

I hope this helps with the wildly different volumes you've been told?

Happy harvesting :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388727666.279485.jpg

For a small investment you can do your own viability cell counts. It's pretty easy to learn. The most expensive part is the microscope.

Good idea landlocked, I will look into that.

I got lucky and after 27 hours I have mini Krausen.... since the picture it has doubled :)

thanks for the help guys.

20140103_201107.jpg

I pitched the slurry from a 7-8L WPL 833 starter into a Maibock. Beer turned out great, but there was nothing remotely close to a blow off. In fact, I was concerned there wasn't anything happening until I broke down a few days in and took a gravity reading. Was fermenting in a bucket that the time so couldn't see what was going on.

Back