Pitching Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Oxygenated Wort' with a  drunk drum solo. 'High Krausen' with a guitar solo. "Dry Yeast Starter', a moving ballad of acceptance over denial. That's almost an album so far 🤘

1657028091881.png

looking....

I thought I had read/heard somewhere that dead yeast cells are basically "yeast nutrient" for the remaining live cells?

I'm planning a saison and I have a saison yeast slurry that's probably a year old in the fridge. Still a nice clean white/beige color in the mason jar. I do have a pack of saison standing by if I open the jar and it fails the sniff test.

I would go for the fresh yeast. If anything is learned in this thread it's that old yeast that is not stored for longevity (freezing etc...) will just not perform the way we want it to. You might make something but it will not be optimal. Why waste your time and resources on a known question mark? I and others have made the mistakes and shared the experiences so other do not have to.

Back