How many watts to warm an outdoor fermfreezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I have a 7 cu ft GE freezer outside on my patio. Will 100W be enough to keep the inside at ale temps through the North Carolina winter? It may get down to freezing temps, but not consistently as far as I know (i just moved here).

I have a 7 cu ft GE freezer outside on my patio. It may get down to freezing temps, barely. Will 100W be enough to keep the inside at ale temps through the North Carolina winter?

It might..... but I'd find a small ceramic heater with fan... 300~600 watts or so.

The fan really helps keep an even temp in my ferm chamber...and the 450 watt heater, will warm the 13cuft freezer up from cold crash 34f to 62f fermentation temp very quickly, so I assume it would stave off ambient freezing temps as well.

Come back after you find success and post up what you found to work,, so someone later finding this thread will have the whole working solution. :tank:

I use a 60w inside a plastic paint can and it seems to work fine. If it gets really cold or stays cold for a long time, I replace the light with an old hair dryer. I have a small 5cu ft freezer, currently.

Back