How many sheets of leaf gelatin to clear beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondratemime

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a few beers on the go at the moment and the one that'll be ready soonest is an English-style IPA that uses up some leftover hops and grains. I've never used fining agents before, but have a potent Tripel in the pipeline that I'd like to be nice and clear so I figured I'd experiment on this batch first.

I have some sheets of leaf gelatin, but is it appropriate to use the same amount weight-for-weight as the powdered stuff? Each sheet weighs 1.6g, so I am guessing a couple will do the job of a teaspoon of powdered gelatin.

I'm planning on sticking the primary in the fridge for a day or two, snipping up the gelatin, adding cold water and warming in the microwave and then stirring it in. Should be good to bottle in 3-5 days right?

What say you, booze oracles?

James

Had no idea gelatin came in sheets....found this here

http://www.modernistpantry.com/gelatin-sheets-bronze.html

You can successfully substitute sheet gelatin for powdered gelatin in any recipe by using the following scaling.

1 (0.25 oz.) envelope granulated gelatin = 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin = 3 sheets leaf gelatin.

yeah I've seen similar conversions but they're not that consistent. I guess it's because there's nothing defining how big a 'sheet' must be. One such site says it's 6 sheets to one 0.25oz envelope of Knox gelatine, so I guess I'll just stick two sheets in a hope for the best.

James

Hi all,

I've got a few beers on the go at the moment and the one that'll be ready soonest is an English-style IPA that uses up some leftover hops and grains. I've never used fining agents before, but have a potent Tripel in the pipeline that I'd like to be nice and clear so I figured I'd experiment on this batch first.

I have some sheets of leaf gelatin, but is it appropriate to use the same amount weight-for-weight as the powdered stuff? Each sheet weighs 1.6g, so I am guessing a couple will do the job of a teaspoon of powdered gelatin.

I'm planning on sticking the primary in the fridge for a day or two, snipping up the gelatin, adding cold water and warming in the microwave and then stirring it in. Should be good to bottle in 3-5 days right?

What say you, booze oracles?

James

3 or 4 grams sounds about right. One envelope of the powdered clears ten gallons of beer for me.

$0.69 for a pack of unflavored gelatin powder at the grocery store. Skip all the guesswork with those wacky sheets and just put 1/2 of a packet per 5 gallons of beer.

I'm sure you can buy a gelatin sculpture of Elvis if the price is right, but I wouldn't waste my time determining how many Elvi to put in a beer when I can get it done more consistently for $0.69 from the grocery store.

FYI, it depends on if it's 1950s skinny Elvis or 1970s fat Elvis. 1 skinny gelatin Elvis per 5 gallons beer/cut fat gelatin Elvis in half ABOVE the belt buckle and use just the legs per 5 gallons.

images

Back