Gelatin vs Isinglass Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
Made a cloudy pale ale a few weeks ago so I thought I'd use it to experiment with finings.

I tried 2 different types of gelatin, the first one is the standard unflavored knox knockoff (kroger). This stuff smells like crap, so I got some 100% bovine gelatin off amazon which smells much better.

For both types of gelatin I used the standard method of mixing 1tsp gelatin with 150ml water and immediately using the microwave to heat it in bursts up to 150 degrees.

I've also read some recommend letting gelatin "bloom" by leaving it in lukewarm water for 30 minutes first, so I tried that as well with the kroger gelatin. I really doubt this did anything.

I added 3.75ml of gelatin mixture to each bottle, except for one that I added 7.5ml of the kroger quick heated version.

As for the Isinglass, I got the powdered kind from Williams brewing because it is shelf stable. Since you have to mix it thoroughly and I didn't want to oxygenate it, I added the isinglass to a bottle of bud lite. I shook the opened the bud light, added the powder, then shook it a little. This caused the bud light to foam up a little and force some co2 out so I could recap it without having any oxygen trapped inside. I then shook the crap outta the bud light bottle on and off for a half hour.

So to recap, in the pictures below, from left to right we have:
1) 3.75ml kroger gelatin quick heat
2) 7.5ml kroger gelatin quick heat
3) 3.75 ml kroger gelatin, bloomed
4) 3.75ml bovine gelatin quick heat
5) 4ml isinglass
6) Control - nothing added

First picture is on Sunday evening, the second picture is tuesday night, so 2 days later and stored in the refrigerator the whole time.

I'll keep posting updated pics in this thread if people find this interesting. So far I'm not seeing very much clearing from any of the bottles, so I'm thinking maybe finings don't work on certain types of haze. My next batch should be much clearer so I'll probably do the same experiment on that one as well.

20140727_114204.jpg

20140729_223604.jpg

20140727_105623.jpg

Interesting idea. Your beer is super-hazy though - any idea why? I'm wondering if its something more than the protein haze + yeast haze that gelatin/isinglass normally works on.

Bryan

Interesting idea. Your beer is super-hazy though - any idea why? I'm wondering if its something more than the protein haze + yeast haze that gelatin/isinglass normally works on.

Bryan

I'm pretty sure I know why. First, I bottled these straight from the bottom of a cold keg, so the haze from the keg was already condensing at the bottom making these bottles especially bad.

Second, and most importantly, I'm reasonably certain I screwed up my sanitation practices due to hard water. Using hard water with PBW and then rinsing with hard water was leaving mineral deposits on the sides of my vessles. I'm pretty sure some of these minerals were getting into my wort and giving off flavors to my recent batches.

On my batch yesterday I did a phosphoric acid rinse, then rinsed everything with RO water twice, and my wort is looking nice and clear again. I'm going to do this fining test with the new batch and I bet I'll get much different results.

Its unlikely gelatin/isinglass will do much about mineral haze, as gelatin/isinglass work by binding to hydrophoibic (water-hating) stuff, while minerals are generally hydrophillic.

I'd still love to see the end-result of this, either with the new beer or old.

B

If you look at the base of the bottles, I think you can see how much is dropping out.
Bottles 1&4 look to be clearing the best.

Things got kinda busy and I neglected this experiment a bit, the bottle shave just been sitting in my fridge. Pics below shows the current states of the bottles, they're all still cloudy but less cloudy than before. I'm not sure if there's anything particularly useful from this experiment, but I do plan on conducting it again very soon with on e of my new fermenting batches that hopefully will be much clearer.

20140826_165850.jpg

20140826_170119.jpg

Thanks! If you remove the labels then the light will shine equally thru the bottles right now #3 looks the best but I can't be sure but Thanks Again it is good info.:)

Did this ever get revisited? The results of all of them are really poor in my opinion.

Did this ever get revisited? The results of all of them are really poor in my opinion.

Agreed, this experiment went very poorly. I've been distracted with other beer related projects, but I do plan on going back and doing this again at some point.

Back