how many raspberries to add to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
I am about to finish my mead in primary, 5 gallon batch. I have never back sweetened before so I'm going to do some experiments this time around.

I'm going to do a gallon batch with fresh raspberries but I don't know how many to add, or how.

I am thinking of simmering them, letting them cool and adding them with some honey.

Any suggestions?

Two Beer or not Two Beer

It depends on how fruity you want the end product.

I'd suggest 2 or 3 lb per gallon. If its gonna be in a bucket then you could just put them in a muslin cloth, or loose if in a carboy.

Don't simmer or otherwise heat them though, as that can make for difficult racking. Plus its likely that you'll have to back sweeten as raspberries can produce a dominating flavour.

If the amount you use doesn't produce enough rasp flavour, you can always steep some more in the batch post-ferment.

As an update I added about a kilo, seemed a bit much but looks good. It did start to ferment again, and I didn't leave enough head room and some came out the airlock, drank some from the top and now its doing well. BTW it tasted great.

Two Beer or not Two Beer

Only in the primary, not in the secondary where I put the raspberries.

Two Beer or not Two Beer

Back