How many of you guys with an eBIAB setup let the bag touch the element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a few threads where guys are just letting the bag rest on the element and they say it's fine. I just bought a system with a round 5500 watt coil and was dead set on having a false bottom made, but if a lot of people are having no problem with bags touching the element then I'd give that a go for sure.
I just assumed it would burn the bag or grain.
thanks

It doesn't matter. Heat the water to strike temp, put the bag in and stir in the grains. Wait until conversion is done, pull bag of grains out and then turn on the element again. There is no need to turn the element on while the bag is in there.

Well, i have this nice pid to control the element and hold temps so i would like to use it. IS everybody just turning off their elements? I suppose that was so obvious that it hadn't been mentioned, lol

I use a false bottom from brewhardware.com just for biab and for my first ebiab kettle batch I have no complaints. Just make sure you have enough water above your false bottom to accommodate your grain bill

Running the element during the mash will require a false bottom but unless you are recirculating, I wouldn't run your element during the mash. It will cause a huge temperature swing from top to bottom.

Running the element during the mash will require a false bottom but unless you are recirculating, I wouldn't run your element during the mash. It will cause a huge temperature swing from top to bottom.

I haven't found that to be the case at all. Because my temp probe is in the same space below the false bottom, it's a relatively fast feedback system that keeps that 3 gallons spot on at the set point. That heat seems to radiate upwards to keep the whole mash pretty solid. It works so well that I generally only recirculate about 5 minutes total.

i think i will eventually get a false bottom and let the pid work.
i'm thinking i'll just stir it 3 or so times during the mash. this seems a ton easier than messing with recirculation. Hopefully as effective.
i have a digital meat thermometer that i'll put higher up to compare temps. (the wire for the probe is like 4 feet long so it should be easy) That'll really tell me if i should ever bother with recirculating.

Last edited:
Y'all catch the brulosophy review of the 1V?
bag on element, no problem apparently.
My bag has arrived and I'm gonna attempt doing the same.
Whatever percentage the pid uses to maintain temps is likely really low and is not burning bags. nice.

Whatever percentage the pid uses to maintain temps is likely really low and is not burning bags. nice.

Let me know how the bag on element works. I’m planning on doing the same.

This is an interesting approach, I didn’t know ss brewtech was touting their e kettle as a no scorch automated e BIAB without recirculating.

Thinking one could do similar w/ standard 240v ULWD element powered at 120v for 1/4 watt density without the $1k price tag.

Then again, I’m a simple element off and insulate the kettle kiss approach.

Thanks for sharing

This is an interesting approach, I didn’t know ss brewtech was touting their e kettle as a no scorch automated e BIAB without recirculating.

Thinking one could do similar w/ standard 240v ULWD element powered at 120v for 1/4 watt density without the $1k price tag.

Then again, I’m a simple element off and insulate the kettle kiss approach.

Thanks for sharing
I don't think ss was advertising it as such, but they gave a 1v to brulosophy to test and he used it this way with no burning. A pid running that element to maintain mash temp would likely only use, i dunno, 5% power?
Im gonna risk my nice new bag and find out too.
Ss hasn't anounced what is gonna be included in their full eBIAB kit yet.

I don't think ss was advertising it as such, but they gave a 1v to brulosophy to test and he used it this way with no burning. A pid running that element to maintain mash temp would likely only use, i dunno, 5% power?
Im gonna risk my nice new bag and find out too.
Ss hasn't anounced what is gonna be included in their full eBIAB kit yet.

I realize this is a very old thread, but how did this turn out? Ever have any scorching?

I have the SS Brewtech 1v and a Brew Bag and it sits directly on the element during the entire mash in/out process. I have done about 12 batches this way and absolutely no signs of scorching on the bag. :drunk:

I have the SS Brewtech 1v and a Brew Bag and it sits directly on the element during the entire mash in/out process. I have done about 12 batches this way and absolutely no signs of scorching on the bag. :drunk:

Awesome, thanks for the follow up! Obviously dependent on volume of your mash, but what kind of drop in temp are you seeing during mash in? I’m using the 20 gal system, just looking for any additional information prior to first use, thanks!

I have that setup with absolutely no issues. Give it a stir every now and then or recirculate and there will be no temperature issues, when holding at mash temp for 60+ minutes.

Awesome, thanks for the follow up! Obviously dependent on volume of your mash, but what kind of drop in temp are you seeing during mash in? I’m using the 20 gal system, just looking for any additional information prior to first use, thanks!
I bring my strike water up to 160 before dropping the bag of grains in. Give it a good stir and either set your 1v to desired mash temp (auto) or go to manual mode and set it for around 22%. It will generally hold it very close, but again, that's only at the temp probe. Give it an occasional stir or recirculate every now and then to keep consistent temps throughout the mash.

Have you ever done a step mash or a mash out @ 170 with the bag touching the element?

My bag touched the coil once. What a mess. I bought a new bag, a false bottom and Avantco 3.5KW induction heater. I removed the coil and plugged the hole. No problems since then.

What problems have you had with the 1V system?
It doesn't work correctly.
I've done the autotune (tried at1 and ate) and it works perfectly for that one brewday.
Next time I brew it's overshooting temps like crazy.
I tried emailing SS support and they were beyond useless.
It's basically a $1k paperweight now unless I wanna use it strictly as percentage of output... Ya know, like a gas setup. Lol
I asked SS if I could ship it back and have them check it for me and they refused. (Likely because they don't know how to fix their own products. i.e. they can't fix their own glycol chillers)
Steer clear

It doesn't work correctly.
I've done the autotune (tried at1 and ate) and it works perfectly for that one brewday.
Next time I brew it's overshooting temps like crazy.
I tried emailing SS support and they were beyond useless.
It's basically a $1k paperweight now unless I wanna use it strictly as percentage of output... Ya know, like a gas setup. Lol
I asked SS if I could ship it back and have them check it for me and they refused. (Likely because they don't know how to fix their own products. i.e. they can't fix their own glycol chillers)
Steer clear

How do you adjust the settings, so it doesn't try to overshoot the temperature so far? It should ramp up the temp, but quit before it overshoots.

I have a 15-gallon kettle from SsBrewtech and I installed a Blichmann Boil Coil in it. I use the Blichmann Brew Commander to controll it and I recirculate my mash. I set the output of my heating element to 25% and let my Brew Bag rest on the coils. I've brewed about 40 batches with this setup and my mash temps are rock solid and I haven't experienced even the slightest sign of scorching on the bag or any amount of damage from the weight of the grain on the coil itself.

I have a 15-gallon kettle from SsBrewtech and I installed a Blichmann Boil Coil in it. I use the Blichmann Brew Commander to controll it and I recirculate my mash. I set the output of my heating element to 25% and let my Brew Bag rest on the coils. I've brewed about 40 batches with this setup and my mash temps are rock solid and I haven't experienced even the slightest sign of scorching on the bag or any amount of damage from the weight of the grain on the coil itself.
Why do you set it to 25% instead of setting to a temp and letting the PID control it?
I'm considering selling my 1V setup and buying a spike kettle and basket and going with a brew commander

Why do you set it to 25% instead of setting to a temp and letting the PID control it?
I'm considering selling my 1V setup and buying a spike kettle and basket and going with a brew commander

Sorry, NewJersey... I should clarify... I do set it a Mash Temp and let the PID maintain it but I also set the Power to 25% during the Mash. Even though the Boil Coil is ULWD this keeps the element from getting too hot as it works to maintain my set Mash Temp. This setting causes the element to cycle on 25% of the time it is cycled off. I arrived at this figure by starting around 10-15% and and adjusting upwards to a point where the Mash Temp stays put without much of an overshoot/undershoot pattern. As an aside, when I transition from the Mash to the Boil, I set the Power at 75% as that seems to be the value that gives me movement and gentle rolling at the surface without getting too turbulent.

The BIAB false bottom (from brewhardware.com) is too easy to use and too reasonably priced to not just buy one, and use it. If for no other reason to keep 10-20 lbs grains from hanging off your element. One of the most useful and effective products available to homebrewers.

I always assumed that PIDs selected how much power to use percentage wise and the duration of the element on.
Damn I wish their was a way I could use the brew commander with my SS kettle and element

I might be able to help you with the Ssbrewtech controller. PM me if you’d like to talk.

I believe you have self tune enabled, which will cause problems.

Back