How many generations can I reuse weisse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I have been reusing trub yeast lately and have had excellent results. I basically pour off about a cup of trub from a 5G batch, pour off the rest and pitch it directly into the next 5g batch. It took some planning but this way I don't have to worry about washing yeast and yeast storing etc.

My question though has to do in particular with how many times I can do this with weisse yeast. Yeast has become the most expensive part of my brewing as I now buy grain and hops in bulk. I don't know how far I can push it however. Some people said that it looses a lot after even 1 generation, other books I have read said that I can push it for as long as I want as long as it doesn't produce off flavors. I have found that I can't really reuse special yeast for more than 3 or 4 batches because I just don't produce the same beers that would require it. Can you push weisse yeast past even 5 generations? What about other ones. I was told to replace after about 8-12 generations. Does this sound more reasonable?

If you are using cake/trub/washing with weizen yeast you can only go about 3-5 generations before you lose the banana flavors. If you top crop you can probably go out as long as you can keep it sanitary.

Yea, I need to learn how to top crop then. How hard is that? Also do I basically pour cool boiled water over the yeast and seal it to make it air tight like yeast washing?

Latest posts

Back