How many gallons of mead, 2021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be clear, you're adding 8 gallons to the total number of gallons for the post? Just trying to keep the count straight.

The count was @ 100.5 gallons before your post.
Counting @Maylar 's, it is now @ 102 gallons.
If you're adding 8 gallons, that will bring the total to 110 gallons.

Yep, adding in 8 more gallons, so 110 gallons total now.

3 gallons of Acacia Rose BOMM, 1 gallon of cranberry concord grape BOMM, 1 gallon of apple, peach, mango BOMM

110 + 5 = 115 gallons

Only way to come back is with a JAOM, wife is enjoying last year's so that's a new 6 gallon batch on the shelf. Maybe another braggot venture this weekend.

115 + 6 = 121 gallons

My first try at mead was on Memorial Day. I did three one gallon batches. Kelly's Raw wildflower honey as the base for all. One was a traditional JAOM with bread yeast and a highly authentic balloon for the air lock fermented in the original gallon water bottle. I added a half teaspoon of DAP. I followed the spice recommendations on Bray Denard's JAO BOMM recipe. The second was a JAO BOMM with D47. This one I followed the a BOMMish nutrient schedule. I bought a pound of DAP before I got to the part of the BOMM thread where DAP fell out of favor. So the first two additions were 1/4 tea of DAP and 1/2 tea of Fermaid K. The last addition was a half teaspoon of Fermaid K and O. The thrid gallon was a BOMM with Lallemand Abbaye Belgium Ale Yeast and the same nutrients as the D47.

121+3=124

Just pitched yesterday, first batches of the year, one more to come tonight or tomorrow evening.
6 gallons Blueberry & Plum
6 gallons Strawberry, Blackberry, Pomegranate
124+12=136
That strawberry, blackberry, pomegranate sounds very interesting. Have you made that one before? Would you be willing to share your recipe and process, please? I wouldn't mind trying that one. Thanks in advance, if you decide to share.

Happy meading 😎

That strawberry, blackberry, pomegranate sounds very interesting. Have you made that one before? Would you be willing to share your recipe and process, please? I wouldn't mind trying that one. Thanks in advance, if you decide to share.

Happy meading 😎
Strawberry, Blackberry, Pomegranate
5 gallons water
10 pomegranates (or equivalent juice)
10lbs strawberries (quartered)
4lbs blackberries
7.5lbs wildflower honey

Heat water to 120°
Add fruit, Steep for 1 hour
Let cool to below 90°
Remove fruit
Add honey
Transfer to fermenter
Pitch Red Star Premiere Blanc Champagne yeast
SG: 1.068
Estimated FG: 0.996

This was a test batch I made last year, turned out really well.
Last time I did 40oz of honey in 1 gallon of water, finished at 12.33% ABV, this time I am aiming for around 9%
Test batch didn't need any aging, but thinking this time I might throw it into secondary with some fresh fruit.. 🤔

After it is finished I will stabilize and backsweeten enough to get just a hint of sweetness.
Any questions just let me know.
You are of course welcome to tinker with the recipe, let me know how it turns out! I'm always looking to perfect my recipes! Cheers! 🍻

Strawberry, Blackberry, Pomegranate
5 gallons water
10 pomegranates (or equivalent juice)
10lbs strawberries (quartered)
4lbs blackberries
7.5lbs wildflower honey

Heat water to 120°
Add fruit, Steep for 1 hour
Let cool to below 90°
Remove fruit
Add honey
Transfer to fermenter
Pitch Red Star Premiere Blanc Champagne yeast
SG: 1.068
Estimated FG: 0.996

This was a test batch I made last year, turned out really well.
Last time I did 40oz of honey in 1 gallon of water, finished at 12.33% ABV, this time I am aiming for around 9%
Test batch didn't need any aging, but thinking this time I might throw it into secondary with some fresh fruit.. 🤔

After it is finished I will stabilize and backsweeten enough to get just a hint of sweetness.
Any questions just let me know.
You are of course welcome to tinker with the recipe, let me know how it turns out! I'm always looking to perfect my recipes! Cheers! 🍻
Thank you very much. Always looking for a new recipe I haven't tried yet. I will likely size this to a 1 gallon batch before trying the bigger batch. I'm the only one in my house that drinks it but my shelves are getting full of bottles that are ready to be consumed & my bulk aging table is full... (as well as all but 2 one gallon carboys). I see this one coming up fairly soon. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. Always looking for a new recipe I haven't tried yet. I will likely size this to a 1 gallon batch before trying the bigger batch. I'm the only one in my house that drinks it but my shelves are getting full of bottles that are ready to be consumed & my bulk aging table is full... (as well as all but 2 one gallon carboys). I see this one coming up fairly soon. Thanks again.
Sorry, it's been a long couple of days😅 blistering heat and cement mason's don't get along very well lol
Sure thing brother! If you haven't already broke it down, here was the recipe for 1 gallon
1 gallon water
2 pomegranates
2lbs strawberries
12oz blackberries
40oz wildflower honey

And in case I haven't already, Thank you for your service! 🇺🇲🤘

Sorry, it's been a long couple of days😅 blistering heat and cement mason's don't get along very well lol
Sure thing brother! If you haven't already broke it down, here was the recipe for 1 gallon
1 gallon water
2 pomegranates
2lbs strawberries
12oz blackberries
40oz wildflower honey

And in case I haven't already, Thank you for your service! 🇺🇲🤘
Thanks for the break down. That makes it simpler and less time consuming. My pleasure, my honor to serve. I feel privileged that I was able to.😁🇺🇸

1 Gallon of my very first mead, which you helped me with, Dan. :mug:
1 Gallon BOMM
And next Friday, 08/06, I will be starting a 5 gallon BOMM with some local honey a friend of mine is harvesting.

139+7
= 146 gallons

Little late to this as I have been out of the world for awhile.

hibiscus mead - 5 gal
triple berry melomel - 5 gal
traditional orange blossom mead - 10 gal

154 + 20 = 174

-j-

I have ~ 5-6 gallons of cyser going right now. 5 gallons of generic apple juice, 10# of honey and 2 packets of QA23 yeast.
Someone forgot to do the math. I got ya 180+5=185

And I'll throw in a 2 gallon raspberry/elderberry melomel. 185+2=187

Someone forgot to do the math. I got ya 180+5=185

And I'll throw in a 2 gallon raspberry/elderberry melomel. 185+2=187
Raspberry/ Elderberry...That sounds very nice. Have you made that before? Have you already posted the recipe or would you be willing to share your recipe and process, please? Thanks in advance, if you do.

Raspberry/ Elderberry...That sounds very nice. Have you made that before? Have you already posted the recipe or would you be willing to share your recipe and process, please? Thanks in advance, if you do.
It's an experiment. I have done elderberry and I have done raspberry, but never combined.

I'll try to post the recipe sometime when I have a few minutes.

Made 5 gallons of semi-sweet from clover honey back in February. Going to infuse with orange zest, cranberries and a dash of cinnamon. Makes a nice, sparkling holiday beverage

... 192 gallons...

well i hac made quite a lot of mead this year:
40 Gallons of session mead( we dont drink beer on house)
about 60 gallon of mead inlcuding( 5 gallon chocolate, 5 gallon coffe, 5 gallon blackberry, 5 gallon blueberry, and 40 gallon traditional) all this mead setting on the carboys aging,

so its about
192+100= 292

1 gallon 9% traditional, with a cup of choke berries added to add interest. 2 gallons of 9% cyser.

=306

5 gallons of Pumpkin Cyser BOMM.....
Basically, this recipe below, with BOMM yeast ....& 3.5 lbs of roasted sugar pumpkins 🎃 sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg, in a bag, instead of the canned puree.
Pumpkin Cyser

Looking forward to this one!

315.2 + 5 = 320.2
(Yep, I dropped the ball on keeping the count current. Thank you, @Falstaff)

Last edited:
Back