How many gallons of mead, 2020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
166 + 6 gallons of Blueberry Mead.
2020-08-02 13.08.32.jpg

New to mead making....started in July 2020. 6 gallons so far, 1 traditional, 1 dandelion, I cyser, 1 coffee, 1 pineapple, & I cranberry. Looking forward to all of them. Cranberry & pineapple were just started. Coffee is next to be reracked to secondary. Hope to get @ least 10 more 1 gallon batches going before December

New to mead making....started in July 2020. 6 gallons so far, 1 traditional, 1 dandelion, I cyser, 1 coffee, 1 pineapple, & I cranberry. Looking forward to all of them. Cranberry & pineapple were just started. Coffee is next to be reracked to secondary. Hope to get @ least 10 more 1 gallon batches going before December
Brings total to 186

6 gallons of JAOM/BOMM
6 gallons SACK/BOMM
brings total to 204 gallons

Last edited:
4.5 gal blackberry blossom trad
4.5 gal orange blossom trad
5 gal cherry vanilla melomel
Total now 218

3 Gallons of B.O.M.M....well almost a BOMM. I was short the fermaid K, but, I'm thrilled to say it's chugging right along. It chewed through 33 points in 39 hrs. So, while NOT a true BOMM, it's still faster, cleaner & already more delicious than the first 6 meads I made. Thank you, Bray.:rock:

252 +3 = 255

1 gallon each of cyser, huckleberry melomel, and 10% traditional = 259 gallons.

2 more gallons of traditional, probably to be eventually turned into a melomel.

262+2=264

6 gallons of mixed berry mead. (raspberry, blueberry and blackberry)

This batch went from 1.125 -> 1.030 in 4 days @ 68*F!!! ! D47 with good nutrition is a beast!

270 + 6 = 276

Attachments

• 2020-11-23 14.55.54.jpg
    2020-11-23 14.55.54.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
videojunkie1208, I have been reading several of your posts about your use of CF10 with wines. I was wondering if you have ever used your CF10 for degassing any of your wines? I have a CF10 and considering pulling a vacuum on my wine for degassing. The only thing I can get out of Spike Brewing is that they have only pressure test their Conical Fillers and I should proceed with caution. Do you have any sage advice you can provide me?

videojunkie1208, I have been reading several of your posts about your use of CF10 with wines. I was wondering if you have ever used your CF10 for degassing any of your wines? I have a CF10 and considering pulling a vacuum on my wine for degassing. The only thing I can get out of Spike Brewing is that they have only pressure test their Conical Fillers and I should proceed with caution. Do you have any sage advice you can provide me?
I have both the Flex Plus and the CF10, and I use the Gas Manifold Gas Manifold | Spike Brewing replacing the stock gauge with a Vacuum Pressure gauge that goes from -30 <->0<-> +30 inches HG

I have successfully used a small 12V vacuum pump(the kind of thing you would use in a car) to pull -10 inches of HG (according to the gauge). I don't push it farther than that as it is adequate to pull most of the gas out of suspension, and it doesn't seem to stress the fermenters too much (I worry about the seal at the lid letting in air). Usually I'll pull vacuum, and shut it off for a few minutes to let the mead degas and repeat over a few days once primary fermentation is complete. I'm also doing it on 7-8 gallon batches in the CF10 and 5 gallon batches in the Flex+.

I have both the Flex Plus and the CF10, and I use the Gas Manifold Gas Manifold | Spike Brewing replacing the stock gauge with a Vacuum Pressure gauge that goes from -30 <->0<-> +30 inches HG

I have successfully used a small 12V vacuum pump(the kind of thing you would use in a car) to pull -10 inches of HG (according to the gauge). I don't push it farther than that as it is adequate to pull most of the gas out of suspension, and it doesn't seem to stress the fermenters too much (I worry about the seal at the lid letting in air). Usually I'll pull vacuum, and shut it off for a few minutes to let the mead degas and repeat over a few days once primary fermentation is complete. I'm also doing it on 7-8 gallon batches in the CF10 and 5 gallon batches in the Flex+.
videojunkie1208, Thank you for the information. This is very helpful. I plan on pulling the vacuum on my CF10, but will keep it under 10 inches of HG. I was concerned about the gasket leaking and/or the lid collapsing. I currently have 9 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon in the CF10 which needs some degassing before bottling. Thank you again you have been extremely helpful.

@BirdieErnie I think low and slow seems to be ok. If you have a high speed vacuum pump that pulls 10 mm in seconds that might cause problems. The little setup I have takes a good few minutes to get there.

I would never do this on the regular flat lid Flex you need the Flex+.

Last edited:
I think I will put a needle valve between my pump and vacuum gauge in my diagram below based on your comments. This should allow me to regulate how much vacuum I pull. Still waiting on a few parts before I fire my system up. Your comments have been very helpful.
Wine Vacuum Degassing Conf.JPG

Here is my setup. Small Vac pump (on Right) "T"goes to two different sized hoses for different connections. usually I just use the one with the fitting on it (I think I last degassed a keg - hence the pin lock fitting)

On the front of the black box there is a switch to control the pump, and inside the box is a power supply. (The box itself is a TEC powered chiller)

Attachments

• 20201211_113514.jpg
    20201211_113514.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Very nice set-up. The pin lock fitting is nice. I will remove my gas manifold to install the 1/4" Hose Barb to 1.5" TC Clamp. I think the way you connect to the ball lock is probably a better way to go. I wanted to be able to pull a vacuum on a closed circuit before I open the valve to my Vacuum Reservoir and the CF10 holding the wine. I now understand I need some type of needle valve between the pump and system. Running that down now.

Very nice set-up. The pin lock fitting is nice. I will remove my gas manifold to install the 1/4" Hose Barb to 1.5" TC Clamp. I think the way you connect to the ball lock is probably a better way to go. I wanted to be able to pull a vacuum on a closed circuit before I open the valve to my Vacuum Reservoir and the CF10 holding the wine. I now understand I need some type of needle valve between the pump and system. Running that down now.
Just attach to the gas fitting on the manifold, the manifold is where your CF10 pressure gauge is.

Last edited:
Haven’t brewed any in 2020. I recently drank a couple that I made in 2017. (2) 12 oz bottles hit me really hard. And these were only made with about 2 pounds of honey per gallon. I recorded og at about 1.074. That doesn’t seem high if you think in beer terms like I do, but since mead ferments to zero thats about 9.7%. I thought it was me at first.

This year so far Batch # 11 through 22. 10 batches of mead and 1 of kvass. Few batches are one gallon, some are 3 gallons and most are 5 gallons. Total? 47 Gallons? No idea....I need to keep better notes. Total count of about 130 bottles.

1 gallon of JAOM...by the recipe,
1 gallon of Bray's JAOM BOMM....w/71b instead of the 1388 yeast. (I have a bunch of 71b I want to use up before it expires.)

323+2=325

1 gallon JAOM, = 326.
Slightly modified recipe, used the orange zest and fruit but no pith. Starting gravity 1.125. Let's see how far Fleischmann's will take it.
Hey, Maylar, how did your modified JAOM come out? Did you try it yet?

Back