How Many Gallons of Mead 2016!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all! Hoping it's starting off on a great note and with that, a lot of great meads!!

Like the previous year, we will go by Brew date and not bottled date, so as long as yeast is pitched between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2015 it counts

In 2013: We Reached 1,156 Gallons
In 2014: We Reached 1,742 Gallons
In 2015: We Reached 1,129 Gallons

Starting off back at 0 with +1 gallon for the Solera Bochet Project

so we've got 1 gallon + who's next!!

I just made my first gallon but made a mistake when I added a refrigerated EC-1118 yeast cake which messed up my hydrometer readings. Furthermore, this new hydrometer seems to give different readings to the one I had before.

Using the same generic honey at the same weight with the same amount of water the OG is higher than it used to be, like the potential alcohol went up by around 2 or 3%. Adding around 250ml of yeasty mead dregs brought it down by around 1.5% potential alcohol. OG ended up around 1.076 but it was hard to read because of several mm of foam.

Anyway...

1 + 2 = 3

I just started coming over from the beer side, since mead is physically easier to manage than beer. So far I have 2 1 gallon batches. One is bottled and was a weak 8%abv that I split between basic traditional mead, and 2 1 liter bottles with apples in one and oranges and pink peppercorn in the other.

So anyways 3+2=5

Does it count of I started it on Dec. 27th. If so add 7 gallons, if not 1.

Just started one gal. Cyzer/Melomel. Apple juice/honey/raspberries. 71b-1122
7 + 1 = 8

2x 1 gallons of plain mead, one to be used for topping up others in the future, one going to add "something" to down the road.....am thinking infusing it with yerba mate when in secondary and then some oak, just for s'n'g's....so
8+2 = 10

So far 1 gallon of a peach melomel for a friends wedding this summer that is sitting in a secondary and 1 gallon of a blackberry melomel that is being step fed and should hit the limit of the yeast soon enough. After that I am going to do a show mead and maybe try my hand at cyser.

Only the blackberry had its yeast pitched after 1/1.

So 15+1 = 16.

+ JJack887's 3 gallons = 24

I just pitched 2 gallons of a cyser with an added quart of black cherry juice and a quart of pomegranate juice using orange blossom honey.

24+2 = 26

1 gal JAOM pitched 01/06/16
2.25 gal Traditional pitched 01/22/16

32+3= 36

Last edited:
I have 1 gallon of traditional using raspberry blossom honey
And 1 gallon of elderflower metheglin

49+2= 51

does the amount trashed, spoiled or tested counts ?

1/7/2016
Pomegrnte 5 gal (went into secondary, 1 liter to tasting, 0.5 gal discarded from the bottom during transfer.

1/20/2016
Blood Orange - 7.5 gal (2 1 gal bottles and a 5 gal carboy and 2 liters for tasting, 0.5 gal
discarded from the bottom during transfer.)

2/10/2016
Blubery - Amining for 5 (4.5 water 1 gal honey, 1 gal blueberries will be removed eventually)

80+17.5=97.5
or it could be 98, depends how you count it
:)

I am new at this :) Sorry, don't mean to be a troublemaker.

Hi.

I've just begun my first ever attempts.

02/09/16 - 1 gallon plain honey
02/10/16 - 1 gallon lemon, lime and ginger (which might need the acid level lowered)

I'll make that 100 because I figure it's the starting volume if we're going by date yeast added.

1 Gallon - Chocolate Black Cherry melomel
1 Gallon - joe's ancient orange mead

108 + 2 = 110

120 + 6 = 126

Pitched a 6 gallon Wildflower honey, Orange Zinger Tea Primary, Planning 8lbs Oranges in Secondary for an Orange Zinger Melomel.

Back