How many gallons of EdWort's Apfelwein have been made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should have taken Ed's advice and started 2. Only 1 gallon left from my other batch and I just started a new one.

16,740 + 6 = 16,746

I just realized I started my last batch 1 month ago and the total at that time was 16,442. Now the total is 16,746. Thats over 300 gallons in a month. Somehow that makes me laugh. :)

16,801 + 5 = 16,806

I made my first batch this weekend. Man was that easy! My house smells terrible now though. :cross:

16,806 + 5 = 16,811

I bottled my first batch in 24 swing top bottles. Bottle conditioning them for a couple of months while the next batch ferments and clears in the fermenter. Had a couple glasses of the first batch. At 4 weeks it's still a little green but I couldn't resist. Really good!

1 test gallon of a hybrid 50/50 apple and cranberry, otherwise still using Ed's recipe so 16836.

I'm down to my last bottle of my 1st batch and I think it's going out as a gift, but 5g batch that has recently cleared and a 2nd that is still fermenting so I'm counting the days...

1 test gallon of a hybrid, still using Ed's recipe so 16836.

I'm down to my last bottle of my 1st batch and I think it's going out as a gift, but 5g batch that has recently cleared and a 2nd that is still fermenting so I'm counting the days...

This stuff is addicting in a way beer never was :) Even my non drinker SWMBO asks me to make her a "apple wine and sprite" sometimes :ban:

I'm thinking of making the barleywine of apfelwein :) I'll try to get the most out of a large starter of champagne yeast, but what would your recommendations be for the profile of the sugar? I'll prolly be adding around 6lbs (+/-) to a 5 gallon batch (it is a go big or go home style fun experiment).

Would it be better to stick to pure corn sugar, or mix it up with a little brown sugar, candi, and other fermenables?

I'm coming from the beer point of view, but would a little DME benefit the mix?

Just made my first batch tonite!

16851 + 5 = 16856

A lot of apples died in the making of this thread :) Thanks for the great recipe!

Add mine to the total, as one week fermenting and it is still happily bubbling away!

16919 + 5 = 16,924 !

16934+5 = 16939

This time with not-from-concentrate apple juice for $17.xx and the original yeast.

Related, I tried some more of my first batch but racked out too much to drink that evening. I was hitting a wall with the dryness and remembered I had some miracle fruit tablets I hadn't tried yet which trick your tongue into making things taste sweet that aren't. Holy heck it tasted so sweet! :p
And uh, white vinegar didn't taste bad either but tingles the throat and lips. :drunk:

Now I think I'm satisfied to let it age. First carboy is starting to clear up so I made more to add some excitement to the kitchen.

I've got a small batch sitting on the fridge...

16,949 + 2 = 16,951

:tank:

I've been saving pretzel jars from BJ's. They hold 2.25 - 2.5 gallons. I was going to use them for mead until I stumbled on the recipe for apfelwein.

16,990+5 = 16,990
Made a batch with four gallons apple juice and one frozen can of Strawberry Daiquiri mix, topped up with water. Smells wonderful.

Back