How many gallons of cider in 2018?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
Came to post my totals so far this year and saw there was no 2018 thread!

Same rules as previous years. January 1 to December 31, 2018. Ciders and cider variants welcome.

I'm at 15 gallons of modified EdWort's Apfelwein

Total = 15 gallons

I didn't see anything on previous years' threads, so I assume amount in the fermenter. I have very little lees loss with a cider anyway.

18.5 gal + 57 gal = 75.5 gal

Harvested, pressed, and started fermentation in 2017. Twenty five gallons of Baldwin, two gallons of seedling (wild apples), ten gallons of Macintosh, ten gallons of blended Cider Hill Farm juice, ten gallons of desert apples, and five gallons of Winter Banana. All were fermented by wild yeast in separate batches. After multiple rackings, five gallons were lost with lees. All but fifteen gallons of Baldwin were blended. After 120+ days of fermentation, the Baldwin has stopped and cleared at 1.007-9. The blends are still fermenting and are at 1.008 and 1.010. The temperature history was crazy this year with a low of 36 deg for nearly a week. I need one of Bembel's cold bots!

Meanwhile, 35 of my initial 75 gallons of 2017 have been consumed. The last of the 2016 is scheduled for competition and special occasions. There is no doubt that my ciders reach peak flavor after two years in the bottle.

Back to the orchard to finish pruning.

cheers
Scrumpy

6 of blackberry/raspberry cider (still in primary so technically just apple as of now)
18.5+6= 24.5 gal

18.5 gal + 57 gal = 75.5 gal

Harvested, pressed, and started fermentation in 2017. Twenty five gallons of Baldwin, two gallons of seedling (wild apples), ten gallons of Macintosh, ten gallons of blended Cider Hill Farm juice, ten gallons of desert apples, and five gallons of Winter Banana. All were fermented by wild yeast in separate batches. After multiple rackings, five gallons were lost with lees. All but fifteen gallons of Baldwin were blended. After 120+ days of fermentation, the Baldwin has stopped and cleared at 1.007-9. The blends are still fermenting and are at 1.008 and 1.010. The temperature history was crazy this year with a low of 36 deg for nearly a week. I need one of Bembel's cold bots!

Meanwhile, 35 of my initial 75 gallons of 2017 have been consumed. The last of the 2016 is scheduled for competition and special occasions. There is no doubt that my ciders reach peak flavor after two years in the bottle.

Back to the orchard to finish pruning.

cheers
Scrumpy
This thread is for cider made in 2018, if it went in the fermenter in 2017 it goes in the 2017 thread :)

Still at 24.5

Sorry but this is always confusing since cider season for any given year spans the New Year in the Northern Hemisphere. Looking back, I see that I am not the only one who is unclear about how we measure our output. In my process, I only count the amount of cider I make after I have accounted for losses during racking. So I started fermenting 62 gallons in 2017 but have 57 gallons in 2018 at the end of fermentation. In 2017, I had no idea what my losses would be by 2018.

It might make more sense to ask how many gallons we bottled in any given year. I suspect what we can drink is more important to the members than what we started fermenting.

I'd argue that the semantics of volume in vs volume out are irrelevant to the meaning of this thread as everyone a difference of what they consider their volumes. One may say 5 gal but mean 5.5 to account for loss; whereas another may say 5gal starting and literally have that volume. If we were in business together I may feel differently, but context of the forum: if you say its 5gal, so do I.

Same goes for the year. Year fermenting started, year picked, year bottled or year its ready to consume, your choice. If you say its 2018, so do I.

These are good points, and since previous years didn't specify I'm not to worried about it. The beer threads have been when it goes in the fermenter, and how much goes in the fermenter. When comparing year to year, it's best to use the same conditions. But, again, since previous cider threads haven't specified it's a moot point.

I usually count when it is pitched, and amount into the fermenter. We usually keg and force carb unless it's a stonger apple wine or cyser.

So by one count, +5 cider with plans to back sweeten with blood orange puree and force carb for a citrusy spring sipper. So 29.5 unless we're counting the 57 @Scrumpy! started last year....

I just started fermenting my first batch of cider this year. A small 5 gallon batch to test out a dry spiced cider that I experimented with.

And I just started 5 gal. to try out the WLP773 Scottish Cider Yeast.

Sorry I don’t have the rolling total.

I usually count when it is pitched, and amount into the fermenter. We usually keg and force carb unless it's a stonger apple wine or cyser.

So by one count, +5 cider with plans to back sweeten with blood orange puree and force carb for a citrusy spring sipper. So 29.5 unless we're counting the 57 @Scrumpy! started last year....
I just started fermenting my first batch of cider this year. A small 5 gallon batch to test out a dry spiced cider that I experimented with.
+5 = 91.5
And I just started 5 gal. to try out the WLP773 Scottish Cider Yeast.

Sorry I don’t have the rolling total.
+5 = 96.5

+5 of my cider = 101.5

7 gal. Concentrate cider, 1 broken pyrex, 1 broken Carboy and a very sticky floor.... 142+7=149

10 gallons of apple cider, 2 gallons of cherry -apple, 2 gallons of pomegranate-plum-apple, 1 gallon dry-hopped apple, all spakling in bottles or already enjoyed. In primary: 2 gallons apple, 1 gallon grape-apple, 1 gallon cherry-apple, 1 gallon pomegranate-plum-apple, 1 gallon orange-spice mead, 1 gallon elderberry mead, and 1 gallon Skeeter Pee. Maybe all doesn't qualify as cider. It's what I'm making though.

157 + 23 = 180

Thinking about making some Graf (Beer/Cider Hybrid) and Braggot Beer/Mead Hybrid).

5 gallons made with WPL773. Very dry lots of natural carbonation. Finial ABV 8.65%

180 + 5 = 185

Am sitting at 14 gallons. None of it bottled yet. The TA levels are all driving me crazy. That is more than enough cider for next Christmas and New Year. The street will be happy. Back back to fermenting wines now.

5 gallons made with WPL773. Very dry lots of natural carbonation. Finial ABV 8.65%

180 + 5 = 185
Am sitting at 14 gallons. None of it bottled yet. The TA levels are all driving me crazy. That is more than enough cider for next Christmas and New Year. The street will be happy. Back back to fermenting wines now.
185 + 14 = 199

Make sure to add yours to the running total when posting :)

199 + 5 of "generic" apple cider for the summer - keg it up and add happy flavors to the finished product! 204 gal

Apple Ginger Hibiscus (3lb of clover honey)
6gal, 5 in the keg and 1 for extended ageing.

Running total, 199+6=205gal

Just about to bottle my first few test gallon batches.

Running total: 205+3=208

+5 gal modified EdWort's Apfelwein with honey and cinnamon... should come out to 9.6%!

235 gal total

3 gal S33 and 2 gal WLP1450 started back on 7/1. Might dry hop all of it.

235 + 5 = 240

Back