How many beer go to the final round in the NHC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I haven’t participated in this before so I was wondering if they said how many beers go to the final round in each of the categories. Is it something like the top 3 in each category at each regional site go on or something like that?

Yes top 3 in each category...but the categories are NHC special categories, not like you would see in a normal comp. For example, Table 3 Pilsner includes Czech Pale Lager, Czech Premium Pale Lager, German Pils, Pre-Prohibition Pils and New Zealand Pils. So with 9 regionals, you are looking at 27 beers making finals in one NHC style category, assuming each region awards all three places (need to score at least a 30 to place). If you are lucky to make finals, those 27 beers would most likely be spread out between 3 tables of judges...the judges then pick the best 3-4 from each table to move on to the award round...then they go through the table "winners) and eliminate beers one by one in a Best in Show format, until they have the 3 medalists remaining. 4 years in a row (not counting the year NHC was canceled), I have been lucky to have beers make that award round, only to not medal. Hoping this is the year to finally get over the hump!

but the categories are NHC special categories, not like you would see in a normal comp. For example, Table 3 Pilsner includes Czech Pale Lager, Czech Premium Pale Lager, German Pils, Pre-Prohibition Pils and New Zealand Pils.
Is that info listed somewhere? Which categories will get lumped together? Or is that finalized after registration closes?

Here's a direct link to the entrant handbook. Categories are a bit more than halfway through.

The categories just make a heck of a lot of sense. Judge rauchbier with the smoked beers, pre-prohibition porter with the porters, and so on. Given enough entries to avoid combining categories, I don't know why all competitions don't work this way.

Back