How long will starter last on stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanOC

Reaction score
Was planning to brew yesterday but I unexpectedly had to leave town. I have a starter on a stir plate now for 32 hours.

I won't be able to brew until tomorrow as I'm getting home late tonight.

Is the yeast already a waste?

Should I have my wife put the starter in the fridge right now? If so, what do I have to do to get it ready to pitch when I get back?

Any other ideas?

It'll be fine. You can chill the starter then decant the majority of the liquid off before you pitch. You have more yeast than you started with & the extra 24-36 hours won't matter. Just be sure the starter is at room temperature before you pitch (don't remove from the fridge and pitch immediately). Best of luck.

If you arent yet convinced, I made 2 starters before I left for thanksgiving, took them off the stir plate after 48 hrs but they sat for another 7 days at rooms temps. They got super clear and had no problem inoculating the wort

I made a starter recently then didn't get to brew when I wanted, starter sat in the fridge for 2 weeks, just pitched on Sunday and lager yeast took off like a rocket, at high krausen 12 hours later. :)

Back