how long will keg beer keep in a flip top bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contradiction

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be taking the leap into Kegging soon but there is one thing I do lament about no longer bottling and that's the fact that you can share a few of them with someone easily and they don't have to drink it ASAP.

I found a CL ad that is offering a whole bunch of 16 oz. Grolsch Flip Top bottles for sale and I'm tempted to get a couple cases of those because I would feel more comfortable giving them away as opposed to a good growler from a brewery in the event that I don't get them back.

So what I'm wondering is how long will beer stay good for in a flip top bottle?

Would it be any longer or shorter then a screw top bottle?

FYI I'm not intending to "bottle" kegged beer in them, I just want something "portable" that I can give to someone and they can drink later.

If you lower your serving opressure to minimize foam, fill to the top and cap on foam, id say it would still be pretty fresh at a week almost

I bought a blichman beer gun to purge and bottle from my kegs

I got a couple of those same bottles 2...I was wondering the same thing ..Just started kegging and would like 2 be able 2 hand some homebrew out

if packaged properly it will last just as long as the beer in the keg. If you suck it up it will be suck within 30 minutes.

I regularly bottle beer from the keg but do not have a beer gun. Here's what I've found:
Always turn the keg pressure way down so you don't have to deal with foam when bottling. Turn it back up after so your keg doesn't go flat.
Swingtops work similar to a growler - they're good for a week or less.
22oz bottles work better and caps are cheap.
Whether capping or swingtop, always close on foam leaving no oxygen headspace at the top of the bottle.

Happy kegging!

If there are any active yeast in the keg beer they would scavenge any oxygen you might introduce during the bottling process. So oxidation of the bottled beer would not occur?

I have filled bottles in the spring and taken them to our cabin and drank them in the fall and they are fine. The only exception is IPA which lose their hop flavor just like in a keg.

If there are any active yeast in the keg beer they would scavenge any oxygen you might introduce during the bottling process. So oxidation of the bottled beer would not occur?

False. Oxidation is most definitely an issue in any fermented beer, yeast or not.

It's important to cap on foam (meaning overflow the bottle with foam and cap it before the foam subsides) or purge the bottle with co2

No, but yeast doesn't "erase" oxidation anyway.

Here's a good and very cheap way to bottle beer from a keg: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

I've done this, before I had a beer gun, and the beer kept as well as any bottled beer. I even won a few competitions with this technique. I bottled a Belgian triple this way, putting some in regular bottles and some in Grolsch flip tops, and the beer was awesome a year later.

Back