how long will a yeast starter last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
I've had my yeast starter on the stir plate for about 3-4 days. problems with family every time i try to brew. So tomorrow i am brewing, WEill my yeast still be good? It was WYeast1099 Whitbread ale ( for a DogfishHead 90 IPA clone)

I made mine on Saturday and will not get around to brewing for prob two weeks is my starter ok in a sealed environment, 65-ish, for that long? Since it is just a mini yeast cake, I am thinking that it can sit their for awhile, dormant.

The idea is to get the number of active yeasties up right before pitching. If you make a starter then put them in a cabinet for two weeks you are kinda letting them go dormant again. It'll be completely fine after 2 weeks, just like a normal beer. Like others mentioned if you let it go that long just decant the spent wort and dump in refresher the night before you brew.

Back