How long will a starter last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhey

Reaction score
This is a great forum! I've brewed off and on for years and I think I've learned more in the last month or so digging around this site than I've learned in all the other years put together.

Anyway, up until recently I never used starters, I used either dry yeast or smack packs. After reading threads here along with Palmer's book I decided a couple of batches ago to use starters. It's difficult for me to definitively say it makes a big difference, (I've made too many other changes at the same time), but my beers are much better than they used to be. I brew recipes with extract, (LME), and steeped specialty grains.

I made up a 1 quart 1.040 starter with dme 10 days ago. I was going to brew last week but got stuck out of town with work. So now I'm planning on brewing this weekend. So the question is: Is this starter going to be OK? It's been sitting on my counter at 65 - 70' for 10 days. I was thinking of pouring off the liquid, since it's settled out, and then adding another 1/2Q of wort. It's been in a one gallon glass growler with a vodka filled air-lock. My sanitation is, IMO, very good. BTW, it's a White Labs Kolsch yeast #?? and I'm brewing a Kolsch style blonde ale ~1.048.

Thanks!

Back