How long will a kit last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdenton

Reaction score
Hello

I am getting back into brewing beer and cider and I was wondering.

I have a oktoberfest extract kit from 5 years ago
Is this kit still good, all the grains are vaccuum sealed

I would buy new yeast for the kit but is everything else ok?

Useable, for sure. Might taste a little stale. But if everything is there, it isn't going to be much cost (~$2 for new dry yeast) to brew it. Even if it tastes a little stale, it would probably still be good and would be a good refresher to get you back into brewing. I say go for it.

You said extract, right? If it's liquid, it is undoubtedly darker than it should be (not a huge deal for an Okto), dry would be better.

Again, if it was me, I'd brew it.

yes it is liquid extract. I think the kit might be a brewers best or something close to it.

Ok. Like I said, some things will likely be "off" such as flavor and color, but the extract and grain will be as fermentable as ever. You will make beer, just a little different than it would have made 5 years ago.

joyceman said:
I doubt the hops are still good. If this is prehopped extract, no problem.

This is more of a question than a statement:

Do hops go "bad"? Or do they really just go "less good"?

They certainly won't be as flavorful or aromatic, and I can't imagine they would be as bitter as fresh, but they wouldn't ruin a beer, right? Just leave it less balanced?

They more I think about it, the more I wonder how good an idea it is to use the old ingredients.

Do it! Just buy a new packet of yeast and an oz of fresh hops to accompany the old ones. The hops the kit came with have likely lost most of their character, but you can still use them effectively if you give them a fresh backbone. You'll make beer and it will probably taste pretty good.

Back