How long to wait for creme ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENZ

Reaction score
On saturday 10/22 I brewed a creme ale to take to deer hunting camp which is 11/17. So only about 3 1/2 weeks away. I usually do 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and three weeks primed and in the keg. So I'm thinking I can force carbonate to give the beer as much time in the fermenter as possible. My concern is the beer going to be too green to serve? I wish I would learn to plan better. Every time I rush a beer it just doesn't seem to taste as good. Any opinions?

Creme ales are okay served young. I recommend force carbonating a week before the trip.

Creme ales are okay served young. I recommend force carbonating a week before the trip.

I agree- but since clarity is so nice in a cream ale, I'd probably stick it in the kegerator at least two weeks in advance (carb it up at the same time) so it's nice and clear.

Skip the secondary, and leave beer in the primary until 2 weeks before the trip. Then rack to the keg.

If you're taking a keg with you, I'd also suggest jumping to a new keg before going! All the sediment and stuff will be left behind so the new keg won't need time to settle. I always do that with cream ales and other light beers when I'm hauling them to a party!

I thought about using gelatin finings and then pulling a glass or two out before transporting. Think this will clear it up good enough? The recipe I use has produced a cloudy beer in the past and needs time to settle.

I thought about using gelatin finings and then pulling a glass or two out before transporting. Think this will clear it up good enough? The recipe I use has produced a cloudy beer in the past and needs time to settle.

No. I mean, yes it will clear. Until you shake up the keg again by moving it!

It's easy to jump to a new keg. Just use two black QDs and a length of beer line. Hook that up and put one end on the "old" keg on the "out". Put the other end on the "out" of the new keg. Pull the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg every 30 seconds or so. (Keep the gas on keg #1). That will transfer clear, carbonated beer to your travel keg.

Won't I still be drawing the sediment off the bottom of the keg when I switch? That's why I was going to take a glass or two out to get the sediment out. I suppose the draw tube isn't quite to the bottom. Is there quite a bit of sediment left after you switch?

Jumping will leave all the sediment behind. The only thing you'll have to do when you get there is vent the keg and pull a couple of pints.

Bull

Jumping will leave all the sediment behind. The only thing you'll have to do when you get there is vent the keg and pull a couple of pints.

Bull

Right. But what you do is draw off the first keg, until the beer pours clear and without sediment, about the second pint. THEN jump to the second keg, without moving the first keg!

Back