How long to dry bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright! Made a Vienna lager inspired ale and dry beamed for 3 days with 3 oz. Used the Mexico beans from our local roastery (my favorite roast of theirs). Needs time to clear, but smells and tastes great! Thanks for the advice.
IMG_20191118_064134_420.jpeg

Wouldn't you get 10 times the flavor/aroma extraction if the pieces were 10 times smaller, such as in a coarse crush? A much larger surface allows for more contact with the beer.

Wouldn't you get 10 times the flavor/aroma extraction if the pieces were 10 times smaller, such as in a coarse crush? A much larger surface allows for more contact with the beer.
Maybe, that makes sense, but I was a little worries about it giving more of the acrid bitterness that you get from coffee, and I was looking for more of the thing you get when you open a bag of whole bean coffee I also think there would be more color extraction that way, which I was trying to shy away from.

I course-ground, (as in tapped beans a couple times with a hammer), 2oz. of flavored beans for a 1.25 gallon batch of stout, and whirlpooled them at ~180° for 10 minutes. This provided a nice flavor throughout the entire 5 months until the last bottle was gone.

whole bean if you want to preserve the beer's color and have a subtle flavor. And it apparently doesn't take much beans or time on a lighter beer...

I did a Kolsch and "dry hopped" whole beans for a month in the fermentor before kegging...way over powering. I think I used 1/4 pound?

When I did an espresso stout once I just tossed a pound of ground into the kettle towards the end and was fine with that...

I dont crush. I use whole beans, and typically i'll throw them in the day i start my cold crash. I'll cold crash for 3-4 days and then rack to keg. Hasnt failed me yet. For 5 gallons i'll typically use 3oz, maybe 4 at most

I guess how much, when and how long all depends on the type of beer and coffee flavor desired...

Latest posts

Back