How long to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Im a new brewer and i bottle my first batch about last week. I used coppers carbonation drops and i just tasted the beer after one week in bottling. Now my question is how long should it take before it reaches full carbonation cause mine was a little flat but thats expected so i was just wondering if anyone knew

General guideline is 3 weeks at 70 degrees and for heavier beers it could take up to 6 weeks...

3 weeks is a good time frame but don't be afraid to crack one ope every week just to make sure :mug:

doornumber3 said:
3 weeks is a good time frame but don't be afraid to crack one ope every week just to make sure :mug:
^^^agreed. Always best to "take samples"

Why not use priming sugar? Tablets ive used were not consistent as priming sugar. But agreed with everyone else. Since this is your first time must drink at 7 days, 10 days, 14 days, and 21 and decide for yourself.

Why not use priming sugar?
Ummm cause this is our first time and it came with a kit that my dads boss got but has syliacs disease and is allergic to gluten which is in wheat; so he gave it to us and this is our first batch and then had the drops with it so we decided to use those. That and plus we dont have the material right now just the one bucket that acts as a primary secondary and bottling bucket; but we might by more stuff so we can have a secondary and a botling bucket to use for a priming sugar after its done being used as the primary.

Those Cooper's carb drops took 3-4 weeks in the Cooper's PET bottles to carb & condition well. Then a week in the fridge to allow any chill haze to form & settle.

Why not use priming sugar?
Ummm cause this is our first time and it came with a kit that my dads boss got but has syliacs disease and is allergic to gluten which is in wheat; so he gave it to us and this is our first batch and then had the drops with it so we decided to use those. That and plus we dont have the material right now just the one bucket that acts as a primary secondary and bottling bucket; but we might by more stuff so we can have a secondary and a botling bucket to use for a priming sugar after its done being used as the primary.

If you lived close by I have a secondary that I would give you because I quit doing any secondary. I'll bet that you would be done with secondaries fairly quickly too when you found out that beer clears in the primary just as it does in secondary, that it doesn't get off flavors from sitting on the yeast, and that they take up storage room that I find is in short supply. Instead of buying a carboy for secondary, buy just a bottling bucket.

Back