How long to bottle age Belgian Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Dubbel that spent 1 month in primary and is currently bottle aging. I tried one after 1 month and the initial flavors were relatively pleasant, however the finish and the taste it left in my mouth were pretty awful. Overwhelmingly bitter clove taste at the finish. Will this mellow with age? How long do Dubbels typically need to be aged before they are good? My OG was 1.06 if that matters.

You could let that that thing go up to five years! Or longer! I normally don't age anything under 10%, but that's more of a guideline than a rule. See how it changes over time. That will be a different beer in even 6 months. Though I can't say wether it will be a better beer...that's up to you to find out!

I did a Belgian on Feb 1 and bottled it on 2/28. 2 weeks in it didn't have good carbonation and had some similar tastes you described. As of last Thursday, the off flavors were gone and the subtle clove mixed with the growing fruit flavors proves to be promising. I will keep one half case set back for a while. I only bottle in 500ml bottles and I yielded a case and a half of those. I have around 30 bottles left. Going to give half a case 4-6 months and the other 8-12 and see what it does. Belgians typically blend and taste better with time on them.

Back for an update. This one is tasting great 6 months down the road and has mellowed quite nicely. Now I plan to let it go a year + to see what happens.

foxyaardvark said:
Back for an update. This one is tasting great 6 months down the road and has mellowed quite nicely. Now I plan to let it go a year + to see what happens.

That's great news! If its this good now, I'd say longer will be better!! I've got a Dubbel in my cellar I brewed in '10!

I am bottling mine this weekend. I plan to do a minimum of 2 months before I crack one open.

I made a wonderful Dubbel last year. Great at 3 months, fantastic when I had the last bottle at 15 months. Can't imagine what it would have been like after 2 years, but I wasn't that patient.

Brewed another 3 months ago, made my own Candi Sugar in lieu of brown sugar. Swear I won't touch it until 6+ mos., maybe I am learning to be patient.

Why not? 2 months seems to be standard in brew like a monk?

Just taking an example but Chimay (I think they know a thing or 2) bottle conditions for a min of 9 months, since you pulled out the brew like a monk. It takes several months for the complexities of all the malts/hops/candied sugars or syrups/ and YEAST strain to properly balance. Take a taste test if you want at 2 months, take notes and pics; double that time to 4 months to take another test taste and make sure you record notes and pics of not just how it finishes/the complexity/ the carbonation/ how quickly the head laces out/ THE COLOR, overal taste, etc, but also what is different from the 2 month taste test. I guarantee you will see and tast a difference. At 4-6 months the beer should actually lighten up, not necessarily clear up, sweetness subdue and becomes more complex as any good Abbey should. It only gets better, more complex, more even, slightly stronger, retain a better head, etc the longer you let it condition.

At 2 months, it will only start to carb up and you will more than likely still have sweet overtones before the complexities hit your taste buds. But ok, take a taste test, you'll learn. Dubbels and Tripples and Quad and Saisons will have different conditioning times.

I bottled a dubbel last week. It's about 7.1% ABV. I put most of it in 22 oz glass bombers, and four plastic 500cl bottles. The plastic bottles are hard already and clearing back up again. I'm thinking give it another week and open one of the plastics? Or is that too soon? (first sample on Christmas Eve might be better) Then one a month after that until the plastic bottles are gone.

I was going to give one of the glass bottles to a friend for Christmas, but it probably won't be ready by then (it'll be carbed but not necessarily good at that point)

Back