How long should this take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickprice407

Reaction score
Over the weekend we brewed our first 4 batches - all extract kits but still a start.

On Sunday the first two, a Marzen and a Porter we bubbling like mad and we brewed another of each Sunday and got them in the fermenting chamber. Yesterday (Monday) the activity was slower on the first two and the other two were going nuts and had lots of foam.

Today - the first Marzen seems to have quit bubbling and most of foam is gone, Picture 1. First Porter is real slowly going and the other two have slowed down. Pics 2 and 3.

Is it possible that the first Marzen is ready to go into a secondary already? And are the others about there as well? This is our first set of batches and especially using a rehydrated dry yeast, I expected more lag and longer fermenting.

Let me know what you guys think.

Picture1.jpg
Picture 1 - Marzen

Picture2.jpg
Porter from Sunday

Picture3.jpg
First Porter - Saturday

Yes, it is entirely possible for a brew to ferment in four days, even at 66F. I'd let them sit for a another week. That will let them condition a bit and settle out most of the yeast.

Most homebrewers do not use secondaries any more, we just let the beer sit for 2-4 weeks in the fermenter. Less work and, I think, better beer.

david_42 said:
Yes, it is entirely possible for a brew to ferment in four days, even at 66F. I'd let them sit for a another week. That will let them condition a bit and settle out most of the yeast.

Most homebrewers do not use secondaries any more, we just let the beer sit for 2-4 weeks in the fermenter. Less work and, I think, better beer.

One of the things I had to get used to here at HBT is that folks here seem to be AHEAD of most published works on home brewing. Not that there's not some old wives tales still being traded here, but in general people have experimental evidence to back them up. I've bailed on secondary (except for fruit beers) and have been making really good beer :)

What about some of the kits like the high gravity stouts that specify 2 weeks in the primary and then 4 weeks in a room temp (72 -74) secondary before bottling? Wouldn't just leaving it in the primary start to pick up flavors from the dead yeast and such?

BTW - we're gonna leave it in a full two weeks and then bottle.

Thanks for all the help - so much to learn and so much we don't know. Reading a lot though.

Back