How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjking77

Reaction score
I have had my Belgian Wit in my primary fermentor 12 days now. The temp has been staying between 68-70F. It went up to 72F for about a day.

I am not too worried yet. I think it was a slow fermentation. I am still getting a bubble about once every 6 seconds.

I think I will open up my fermentor tonight or tomorrow and take a gravity reading to see where I am at.

So, how long is too long? When do I need to be concerned that I might have an infection?

Should I just leave it alone or should I open it up and take a reading?

If you're planning a secondary, I'd check the s.g. and rack it if it's done. If you're going right to bottles, I'd wait a few more days and then check the s.g. If it's done, you could bottle. You could probably leave it for alot longer- up to a month or longer- before you'd have to worry about off flavors developing.

I am planning on taking a look and gravity reading tonight.

I am still a little confused as to why I am still seeing so much activity in my airlock.

I hope my batch is not infected.

I never take a reading until I rack into secondary. If it is still bubbling I'd leave alone. The more you open the more chances for infection.
On second thought, rack into secondary, take a SG reading then. Taste the sample, see what it tastes like. It won't hurt to leave for longer then.

My last 2 batchs were Wits. No secondary, first one was 28 days from brew to bottle. SG 1044 FG 1008.
Second batch was 21 days from brew to bottle. SG 1040 FG 1006

Both fermented in the upper 60's.

Tonight I opened up my fermentor. The krausen still hasn't fallen.

I guess this batch just needs a longer fermentation.

Oh well. Now I know.

mjking77 said:
I have had my Belgian Wit in my primary fermentor 12 days now. The temp has been staying between 68-70F. It went up to 72F for about a day.

I am not too worried yet. I think it was a slow fermentation. I am still getting a bubble about once every 6 seconds.

I think I will open up my fermentor tonight or tomorrow and take a gravity reading to see where I am at.

So, how long is too long? When do I need to be concerned that I might have an infection?

Should I just leave it alone or should I open it up and take a reading?

My wit took 14 days to finish fermenting. 12 is ok.

I bottled my Blue Balls Belgian Wit clone (Blue Moon) (thanks BierMuncher)yesterday and I left it in primary for two weeks and went straight to the bottle.
I don't think there is anything to worry about mj.:)
As everyone hear says, RDWHAHB

Back