How long is too long to leave in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch for Superbowl and it was supposed to be ready a couple days before the game but stuff got too hectic and I left the beer in the frementer (SS Brewtech bucket) set @ 68f in the garage. Airlock was still in place.

Is there any issue with leaving the beer in the frementer for a couple weeks assuming you keep the fermenter sealed up?

I don't think so, provided the temp didn't get jacked with or any other issues (dry airlock, UV lights, etc)

Usually we try to push things too quickly, but I've had beers in the primary for a 6 or 8 weeks.

I don't think so, provided the temp didn't get jacked with or any other issues (dry airlock, UV lights, etc)

Usually we try to push things too quickly, but I've had beers in the primary for a 6 or 8 weeks.

It was connected to the two way temp controller system from SS Brewtech (heating pad on the bottom and connected to the ss brewtech glycol chiller) so it stayed within 1 degree of the setpoint. Airlock had star san in it. It was in the garage.

It was connected to the two way temp controller system from SS Brewtech (heating pad on the bottom and connected to the ss brewtech glycol chiller) so it stayed within 1 degree of the setpoint. Airlock had star san in it. It was in the garage.

I'd say you're good to go. I'm far from a pro (only a dozen or so batches under my belt) but I think you've eliminated anything that could cause issues.

Happy beering! :tank:

You are fine!

I just left a batch in primary for just over 4 weeks (yeast just keep going!) and I enjoyed the taste at bottle and even 3 days after bottling to do a taste test with my homebrew club. Turns out they really enjoyed it.

I have another club member that listens to a lot of beer podcasts and heard that leaving in primary for several weeks will do little to nothing, even if you were to make a lager and not transfer to secondary. Sure sounds sketchy from everything you've ever been taught right? Our batches are so small that we just aren't getting the same kind of surface area as the big producers are. Apparently in this podcast, the guys brewed the same beer but left one in primary, while the other was transferred to secondary, left for a few weeks long. Did a blind taste test with volunteers, and the one on the primary cake, was favored. I gotta find that podcast...

So ya a few days.. a week.. no biggie man. I go a full 2 weeks no matter what now, and if I'm still bubbling under 60 sec, I'll leave another week, or however long it takes to die down.

The super bowl was only a few weeks ago. You're good! I've left beer on oak chips in the primary for 6 months before and it was fine. As long as the conditions are right you can leave beer in the fermentor for a while.

I go to the UK for 2-3 months every year. Before I go I brew two batches and let them ferment while I'm away. So I wouldn't worry at all about a few extra weeks!

[...] Apparently in this podcast, the guys brewed the same beer but left one in primary, while the other was transferred to secondary, left for a few weeks long. Did a blind taste test with volunteers, and the one on the primary cake, was favored. [...]

Essence in blue. That's not surprising, Unless it's done oxygen free, transferring to a secondary almost always results in (some) oxidation of the beer. Then it sits at room temp for a few weeks making matters worse...

They should have kegged it (again in an oxygen free way) for reference. Preferably cold stored too.

[Edit:]
To answer the OP, I do agree that leaving it in the primary won't harm the beer. May even improve it. The time limit is generally 3-6 weeks. After around 6-8 weeks yeast autolysis may become an issue, depending on the gravity and ABV of the beer sitting on top.

You are fine!

I just left a batch in primary for just over 4 weeks (yeast just keep going!) and I enjoyed the taste at bottle and even 3 days after bottling to do a taste test with my homebrew club. Turns out they really enjoyed it.

I have another club member that listens to a lot of beer podcasts and heard that leaving in primary for several weeks will do little to nothing, even if you were to make a lager and not transfer to secondary. Sure sounds sketchy from everything you've ever been taught right? Our batches are so small that we just aren't getting the same kind of surface area as the big producers are. Apparently in this podcast, the guys brewed the same beer but left one in primary, while the other was transferred to secondary, left for a few weeks long. Did a blind taste test with volunteers, and the one on the primary cake, was favored. I gotta find that podcast...

So ya a few days.. a week.. no biggie man. I go a full 2 weeks no matter what now, and if I'm still bubbling under 60 sec, I'll leave another week, or however long it takes to die down.

Yeast autolysis is possible from leaving beer in primary too long but it's rare. The one beer I left for 9 weeks was flavored....good flavored.

agree, too many beginners(including myself at first) don't leave the beer long enough, especially following "bad" kit instructions.

nowadays, I don't even bother with taking gravity until at least 3 weeks in.

My first child was born a few months early and it wrecked my packaging schedule. I had a IPA than spent close to 3 1/2 months in the primary. Most of the hop aroma and flavor was gone, otherwise it was fine.

Essence in blue. That's not surprising, Unless it's done oxygen free, transferring to a secondary almost always results in (some) oxidation of the beer. Then it sits at room temp for a few weeks making matters worse...

They should have kegged it (again in an oxygen free way) for reference. Preferably cold stored too.

[Edit:]
To answer the OP, I do agree that leaving it in the primary won't harm the beer. May even improve it. The time limit is generally 3-6 weeks. After around 6-8 weeks yeast autolysis may become an issue, depending on the gravity and ABV of the beer sitting on top.

Yeah, you are right. There is a far greater chance of oxygenating your beer during a transfer than having autolysis ruin it.

I don't keg myself, so I may not know the joys or challenges of how to transfer/keg in an oxygen free environment (unless I shell out some mad dough).

Latest posts

Back