How long is too long for conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eloro

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed up a Christmas ale with ginger, cinnamon, honey, and cloves this season. Due to being really busy, I left it in the fermenter a week too long and as a result I bottled a week later.

So long story short my Christmas beer won't be ready for another week or so at least. I don't really want to drink it not on Christmas, as it should have a very Christmassy flavor.

So, the question, will this beer keep till next year at this time? Will it be better or worse? What's the cut off for conditioning? It's about 7% abv.

Are we talking fridge temps, or just out of the heat? I have a small beer fridge and can't really afford the space for two cases that have to stay there all year.

You don't have to refrigerate it. 60 would be ideal, but who has a place that stays a constant 60? Put it away from heat and light and you'll enjoy your beer next year.

I have some about a year conditioning in the bottle still. your good. If your planning on next christmas i would store them cool or even room temp or even in the fridge after a certain point. I happen to enjoy my first pumpkin over 8 months, and i didnt even care for it alot before than. It depends if you think its overspiced or not early on too.

Awesome, sounds good. With all those spices I was hoping maybe some extra conditioning might actually help combine the flavors. Like day old chili or something.

I did a Happy Holiday kit from Midwest Supplies last year and it wasn't ready for Christmas. I had a variety of beers to drink and I still have a couple of bottles from that kit left. The flavor is quite smooth but I have lost the spice flavor that I desired when I brewed it so I'd recommend that you save this one for about Easter and drink it and then start another Christmas ale in August to be ready for Christmas next year. I think you will like the timing as it gives the beer plenty of time to mature without losing the spices.

You could give them a little swirl a few days before you pop them next year. Spices will settle pretty fast. If you can get them in the fridge they may last longer, otherwise typical cellaring temps are between 50 and 60.

we just finished an imperial brown pumpkin batch that I brewed over a year ago. I also have a stout that just "matured" enough to taste good...it was 9 months.

Back