How long is starsan good once mixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee

Reaction score
I got a bucket full, no lid, in my basement and it has been there for a week or so. Time to mix up a new batch?

Cloudiness I believe is the tell-tale sign that starsan has lost it's effectiveness. I have kept uncovered buckets of starsan for a month or more.

Jason

As long as the Ph is about 3.0, it's still good. I've heard people pitch it when it gets cloudy, but mine was cloudy when I first made it. I got some cheap test strips and now I just check the acidity occasionally.

Effectiveness of the surfactant (foam) and effectiveness of the acid are two different things. Not sure of the half life of each compound.

Tap water or distilled water? I wouldn't trust it unless you can test it.

Also when I brew, I only make a small amount instead of a full bucket and fill a spray bottle to sanitize some things. When I santizie the carboy, I put about a quart in and shake it up. This was you use less on brew day and the jug will last you a long time.

I make one gallon at a time with distilled water. I keep some in a spray bottle and the gallon jug has lasted two brews so far. I believe I can get another batch out of this gallon jug. It was made in November 2010.

The solution is still crystal clear.

I make a new 5-gallon batch every time I brew, or about every 2 weeks. Between that I keep the bucket sitting around for whatever I need and I've never had a sanitation issue in my life.

I used tap water to make my star san and it goes cloudy quickly. I once mixed it in a 3 quart jug with RO/Distilled water and just recently found it. It was still perfectly clear and usable. I will never mix with tap water again. I can mix up 2 gallons at brew time (if I am running low) and top off my jug and use it to refill my spray bottle. I can see using it for MONTHS before having to mix up more.

The only reason I mix up 2 gallons is because it's easier to measure. I really only need to make 3 quarts at a time. I can see a new container of Starsan would last YEARS if I was only a bit more smarter on how I stored and used it.

Yeah I use tapwater and always get a cloudiness. I keep a spray bottle of it around for months on end. Guess ill have to go to DI water

I use tap water.......i'm on a well and it stays clear for a long time. I however unlike most mix up a new batch every time I need some to be safe. It is a cheap way to safeguard your brew taking in to account all the time and effort put into making a batch of malty goodness.

I make one gallon at a time with distilled water. I keep some in a spray bottle and the gallon jug has lasted two brews so far. I believe I can get another batch out of this gallon jug. It was made in November 2010.

The solution is still crystal clear.

+ 1. This is exactly what I do. Distilled water is a must, because minerals in spring or tap water will decrease its shelf life

RO= Reverse Osmosis

I usually make up 5 gallons in tap water on brew days and discard it when I'm done, but I do keep a gallon of distilled water/star san under the sink for miscellaneous sanitizing that needs to be done between brew days.

I think the biggest factor is the pH. If it's 3 or below, it's still effective.

Back