How long is safe to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haarkon

Reaction score
I'm going to be out of town for about 6 to 7 weeks, and I'm debating whether to start a new batch before I leave. I don't know how long is safe to leave wort in the Fermentor. Since I'm new to homebrewing, I'm just using plastic buckets with a bubble airlock. Will it be perfectly fine to leave it in that long or do I run the risk of ruining the whole batch?

Should be fine. I wouldn't go more than 2 months in the plastic but many people routinely go that long in the buckets.

I've had beer in a BB for over 2 months and there were no issues. I keep them covered, like those using glass carboys do, and just away from direct sunlight. I've kept beer in buckets for 3 months and also had no issues. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've had beer in a BB for over 2 months and there were no issues. I keep them covered, like those using glass carboys do, and just away from direct sunlight. I've kept beer in buckets for 3 months and also had no issues. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

.... and a man with far more experience than me confirms the >2 months timeline. Thanks Hello.:rockin:

I'll be devil's advocate...if you're brewing something with a lot of hop aroma, it may taste better fresher. So in that case you might wait. You'll by no means ruin it by leaving in the fermenter that long, but it's something to think about.

be extra cautious with your cleaning and sanitizing and you should be good

Depends on the beer. I wouldn't brew a fresh hopped IPA and let it sit in the primary a long time and expect it to taste as good as a fresh one. That being said, i've let beers go for a looooong time in the primary with no problems. I had a beer go four months in the primary last year, a nice big mint chocolate stout. I had to re-mint it because the flavor faded out completely but that was easily done with a little extract at bottling time.

I'd brew your beer, add a little Fermcap-S (food safe anti-foaming agent) to the beer to limit the size of the krausen and then let it rip while you're out of town.

Back