How Long in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What benefits are there to keeping a brew in the fermenter after fermentation has completed?

I’ve noticed that some see more of a benefit from bottle aging than others, so curious if there’s a similar benefit from staying in the fermenter for longer.

Last edited:
You generally want to keep beer in the fermenter at least a while after gravity has stopped dropping. This allows the yeast to clean up fermentation by-products, specifically diacetyl (slick and buttery) and acetaldehyde (green apple).

Then there's attenuation. I watch most of my fermentations with Tilts, and even in the ones that seem to hit final gravity in a couple of days, they'll generally drop a point or two more if I leave them on the heat for another week or two.

Active yeast also have decarboxylating enzymes, which will remove (some) oxidation products: bottle-conditioned beer shows effects of oxidation much more slowly for this reason. The oxidation "clock" starts when you take the beer off the yeast, so there's some benefit to delaying this if you'll be storing the beer for a while or under non-ideal conditions.

The beer will become clearer. Many very clear as much of the yeast, other suspended proteins and other stuff fall out.

Flavor improves too usually as those undesirable things fall out. And there are some processes that the yeast go through that continue to improve the flavor too.

Of course your bottle or keg is just a secondary or tertiary fermenter, so most of the same things will happen there. Assuming you don't drink it all before that happens.

So where will you rather have the extra trub? On the bottom of your bottle/keg or left behind in the FV?

Latest posts

Back