How long for US-05 at 18 deg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mer-man

Reaction score
This is my first ale. I'm doing a 1054 IPA at 17-18 degrees with rehydrated 11.5g US-05.
It took a day to show signs of fermentation. But now it has had almost 5 days of serious blonde foam that is being continually renewed.

How long can I expect this to go on? I will leave it in the fermenter for a total of 2wks regardless, but I expected the foam to subside by now.

Five days isn't extraordinary. The visible signs of active fermentation will probably die down soon, including the krausen (the foam). It is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Most of my fermentations are done in 10 day to two weeks, but not all. You will want to be certain that fermenation (regardless of visibile signs like krausen) is finished before you bottle. If you let it sit for three weeks or so, that is usually sufficient. Or, you can take a hydrometer reading, wait three days and take another reading - if its the same, fermentation has completed and you can go ahead and bottle or keg.

Aha! I was wondering if there was more info on US-05 I had not seen.
Thanks flars!

I understand it is only medium flocculent, so I was going to use gelatin to clear it later.

Back