How long for fermentation to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy1979

Reaction score
I am brewing a Bavarian Hefeweisen. Starting gravity last night was 1.080 and I pitched the yeast WPL380 at 72 degrees. It has been approximately 18 hours and I have not started to see any activity in the blow-off and no krausen has started to form. Should I be worried? The wort is at 72 degrees right now. I did not use a starter for the yeast. How long should it take to become active?

Yeah, it was aerated very well. The final gravity is supposed to be around 1.020 to make this around 8.0%. This is also my first time using the White Labs Yeast. I have been using the Wyeast smack packs.

1.080 Hefe? Not using a starter likely contributed to your long lag time. Did you aerate before pitching?

Yessiree, that's a big 'ol Hefe. Usually, they top out in the 50's. Imperial Hefe?

Although, if this is an extract brew, then its probably a hydrometer reading error, with the top-off water not thoroughly mixed into the wort.

Should I raise the temp up to maybe 75?

NO, even at 72 you are at the higher end of the yeast's range and any higher will promote off flavors. IMO 68-70 is more average. Just be patient, even though it is recommended to under pitch this style, at 1.080 you are way under pitched and thus a longer lag time and some additional stress on the yeast. It will take of but may take up to 72 hours.:mug:

1.080 is going to yeild a fairly strong hefe foe sure. I was addicted to Hefe when I lived in Germany during the 80's. Pils was OK, but Hefe was where it was at. I lived in the wine region so we had planty of grapes and fruit in addition to some of the best hefe on the planet. I loved the local breweries hefe, it was 20DM for a 20 liter case, and you got back 6Dm from the bottle deposits too. It was cheap and world class taste all in one. Good luck and at 24-72 hours you should see some activity in the airlock or blow off tube. Remember that bubbles in the airlock or lack of does not mean that the brew is doing nothing. The FG will tell you all that you need to know in the future. Relax and prepare to enjoy.
Bob

I usually ferment my Hefe at 62-63F (and I pitch the yeast when the beer is in the low 50s), elevated ferm temps cause a more pronounced banana flavour instead of that lovely clove/banana balance. WLP380 is more clovey to begin with, so it might work out to your benefit if you could get it down to 68F or so. Depends what flavour you're shooting for.

I've had a LOT of my Hefe's take 2-3 days to get going, even when I pitch at proper rates. The carboy goes from a standstill to blowing off like a volcano in a matter of a half an hour.

Back