How long does your brew day take with your electric systems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 20litre Braumeister, usually doing 23litre (in the fermenter) batches. I fill the system the night before (and my 8 litre sparge water pot). On brewday I start at 7am (switch on system to start heating) it is usually in the fermenter by 12:00/13:00 depending on mash steps and length of boil. So maximum 6 hours for the brewday and 1 hour to clean up.
Same equipment and very similar timeline, though I usually do a 1+30 step mash and 75 minute boil. Following boil and chill I do a 30 minute whirlpool/hopstand before pumping to the fermenter and pitching/oxygenating, so I don't get down to the heavy lift (cleaning) until the wort is in the fermenter.

Six and a half to seven hours on a Spike 20 Gallon three vessel system. This is from start (fill the HLT and turn it on) to end (put everything away in a cleaned and RTG for next brew day). It does take about an hour or perhaps a little more at the start to heat up the MT to strike temps, and then takes another 20-30 minutes getting the MT to mash out temps. All this is time spent drinking coffee, reading the newspaper ("What's a newspaper?", says the millennial) or organizing my day. The "real" brew day, i.e. starting from when the MT is at strike temp, is about 5.5-ish hours.

FYI, with my 120v system, late last week I needed to knock out an evening brew session, so I turned it on at 530 pm with 90-100 degree water already in the kettles (I filled and heated it up to around 180 the night before and shut everything down), and i was done brewing by 1030pm. 1ish hour to heat up to strike temp, 1 hour mash, 35 minute quick sparge, 45 minute ramp to boil, 1 hour boil, 5 minutes to chill to whirlpool temp, 30 minute whirlpool hops, then another 10 minutes to final knockout to fermenter. Shut everything down and I cleaned up the next day.

BIAB 5g, 220V/2kW element, no sparge, no chill up to 5 hours with cleaning.
Pitch yeast next day.

I brewed today for the first time since originally posting this and it took 6.5-7 hours beginning to end. Part of the extra time over the usual 6 for me was that I had some whirlpool hops in the recipe, which adds time at the end. I then ran the immersion chiller but that was quick because the water is so cold at this time of year. I also took my time cleaning up although I didn't make as big a mess as usual.

It was my usual BIAB 5g batch on a stove top with a high output burner. It is just enough to hold a boil but is very slow to get things up to temp.

I brew after kids go to bed, usually takes about 4hours on my brewzilla. I clean everything as I go and whatever doesn’t get clean that night I’ll do it the next day.

For the past year, I've been brewing at night. Which I never thought I'd do after having kids, because I was always so exhausted.

But I've got things dialed in that my evenings look like this on my 1 vesel e-biag setup. These are all rough-ish amounts.

• ~20 Minutes, the night before. Mill grains, fill up kettle with water, add campden, water additions, acid, etc.
  • ~5 Minutes, at any point in the leading hours to brewing, turn the heating element on and let it heat up to strike temp. Set up kettle for mash in.
  • ~15 Minutes, mash in, set out anything needed for the batch.
  • ~90 Minutes Go eat dinner, get kids down to bed. Pull grain bag if mash timer goes off, or leave it in if I'm lazy
  • ~90-120 Minutes, boil, cool, transfer/pitch, clean up. Usually I refill the kettle and let it CIP and heat back to 150 then leave the PBW soaking on the heating element till the next day for a rinse.

The great part is the 90ish minutes during the mash just getting the house cleaned up and kids down makes it seem much less time consuming than it really is.,

The mash is the only time during the process one can walk away as there is no flame/coil involved. I usually reserve it for some kind of errand.

There is so much down time while brewing that it makes it easy to clean as you go. The first brew day the brew is in the fermenter in ~7 hours, the second brew day the obligatory brew cart updates are done and everything is packed away in around 2 hours. The elephant in this discussion is the other brew day, kegging, which of course includes fermenter cleaning and keg cleaning adding another 4 hours. So that's it, three days about 13 hours every 6 weeks costing $50 to $75 for 10 gallons of delicious homebrew. Only wish I could drink more!

My keg day doesn't take anywhere near 4 hours. And the second brew day? I don't usually have one except I'm dry hopping so I'll be doing an extra transfer.

My kegging day is also much shorter. The kegs are already sanitized and purged. It's just a matter of transferring the beer from the Brew Bucket and then cleaning the brew bucket.

I usually clean, sanitize and purge 5-6 kegs at a time. That process does take several hours of a couple of days.

Back