How long does grain last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
I guys. I've just switched from partial mash to all grain and I'm cooking with gas and loving it :)

I'm buying my grain by the sack (25kg) and grinding it myself. How long can I store un- ground grain for? Any recommendations?

At present I just tie the sack closed ad store it in my store room which is a nice 22 degrees constant.

Cheers,
Rob

I've stored grain for up to a year with no problems. I put my grain in containers, not just in the sack. I don't think the issue would be freshness, but whether rodentia would be able to chew through the sack.

Congrats on the all-grain brewing, too!

I keep my specialty grains in the freezer until I'm ready to use them. My bulk grains (50# sack) stays in the bag because I use it up within 2 months.

Can we get a sticky to this question, please. It is LITERALLY asked once or twice a week.

I've purchased kits with grain that was already crushed and brewed 6+ months later with no issues. My current 50lb sack is a year old (crush it as I need it) and I just brewed an all grain batch 2 weeks ago. Beer tastes great.

There’s only one harvest, so the grain we’re using is already up to one year old. The thing to watch out for is insects. Make sure your container is bug proof. Even at that your grain could have eggs in it. Keep an eye out for critters.

Some LHBS’s will freeze their grain for a few days to kill any possible contamination.

Back