How long does 5lb CO2 last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I have just recently gotten into kegging and am wondering how many kegs I can figure on carbing and serving on a 5lb tank. I just ran my tank empty yesterday with only going through 2 kegs. Is that normal, or should I expect it to last longer?

From what I can tell, I don't have a leak, but maybe I have a small one somewhere.

You have a leak. When I first set up my system I went through a bottle inabout 24 hours. Now I have everything sealed my bottle has lasted several kegs and the needle hasn't moved

Sounds like you have a leak.

I've been able to carb and push about 15, maybe 20 kegs with 1 5lb co2 tank.

Check all connections by spraying Star San on all connections and look for bubbles. Be sure to check the regulator, ball\pin locks, around poppets and any O-rings.

It can be tedious to try to find the faintest leak, which sounds like you have, but worth it once you find it.

I've been able to carb and push about 15, maybe 20 kegs with 1 5lb co2 tank.

That's very impressive! OP, the general rule of thumb is 1-2 kegs per pound of CO2, and twice that if you're naturally carbing. It depends on your preferred serving temperature, amount of purging, etc. But I agree that you most likely have a very slow leak.

Back