how long do you age your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long do you age your beer?

• 1 week

• 2 weeks

• 3 weeks

• 4+ weeks

Results are only viewable after voting.

rustbucket

Reaction score
this is just to see a general consensus on how long you age your beer. this is not for special stuff such as barleywines and such but more of the generic beers (loose term) such as amber's, ipa's and such to get rid of the green beer taste. also not to include your quick grain to glass beers.

i hope this make sense... :mug:

Edit: this may have been unclear but this is for after you bottle/keg

I primary for a month, keg/carb warm, and when a space opens up in the keezer, in it goes. So, minimum a month from brewing but, sometimes longer. At least a couple of weeks in the keg....

for me it's four weeks in primary and 3-4 weeks conditioning, keg or bottle - same deal

3 days if I can get away with it. I drink my american pale ales and ipas right away so that I get the full hop flavor and aroma.

I put 2 weeks. I usually bottle condition for a minimum of 3 weeks, but I usually keg and enjoy in 2-5 days.

I primary for 3-4 weeks and usually dry hop in secondary for 1 more week, so the beer is pretty good to go in the keg after that.

Once bottled, my lighter gravity brews (under 1.065) usually go about 3-4 weeks before I start sampling to see if they're fully carbonated... I've actually been letting a couple of remaining bottles of my very first brew bottle age for a couple of months now (bottled on 12/4/10)... I'm curious to see how that one is a few months after bottling, then a few months after that, and then a few more months... It's a honey porter that had an OG of 1.072...

My English IPA was bottled on 1/23/11, and it's really good now. It was a bit too hoppy for my tastes initially, but it's gotten to the point where I really like it over the past week or so. I'll be making that one again soon.

I follow no specific schedule but generally minimum of 3 weeks in primary for ales (I do not secondary ales unless I plan to keg them) and 3 weeks carbonating in the bottle or keg. (6 weeks total)

For lagers, I actually do shorter primaries because it is important to do the rest before fermentation is completed, usually 7-10 days, 2 days of rest, then a minimum of a month lagering and 2-3 weeks carbonating in the bottle or keg. (2 months total give or take)

That is minimum! No rush!

I usually primary anywhere from 7 days to 14 days, but usually go around 10. From there I will either transfer to a second fermentor and cold crash or I will simply cold crash. 3-5 days in the cold, then to keg. I can usually have the keg on tap within 5 days now.
Lagers would be different.

I didn't see the option for keg and drink the same night...all my "aging" happens before it hits the keg...

My ales, 4 weeks in primary, then keg.
My Lagers, I primary for about 2 weeks. I do a D-rest for a few days, then keg. Slowly drop temp to 32 and TRY to lager for 4-8 weeks. The last couple of batches I've done 10 gallon batches, so the second keg has been lagering for 8-10 weeks. Very tasty...

I usually brew beers to an sg of 1.060, ferment 2 weeks and begin tasting after another 2 weeks. They usually start getting really good between 3 and 4 weeks in the bottle. Most my brews are good after 5 weeks grain to glass.

I took the question to mean how long after you bottle or keg the beer. I'm a bottle guy and I usually wait 2 weeks to try the first one. From then on it depends on how that first taste went

Back