How long do I steep the grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
Whereas I normally brew all grain...this particular time I was in a hurry and wanted to do an extract batch. I took my recipe, replaced all of my two row base grain with pale malt extract and then steeped all the specialty grain on my grain bill. I steeped my specialty grain for about 45 minutes which after tasting the beer I realized that was probably way too long. Anyway I'm going to do another quick batch like that and want to know how long should I steep my specialty grains for? Thank you for the feedback ahead of time.

I'm sorry I can not give you a confident, educated answer as I am relatively new and still learning. I am however doing the same thing you are at the moment and have been referring to this chapter:

How to Brew - John Palmer

I hope this helps a little.

heat the water to 160 with the grain in it and hold for 20 minutes unless you have adjuncts and some base malt in the grain bill, then go for 30 minutes instead. I like to tie the grain bag around a spoon to keep it in suspension in the wort, otherwise you run the risk of melting the bag to the bottom and spilling your grains.

Latest posts

Back