How long do I need to control ferm temp of lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

My fermentation chamber holds one fermenter, and I want to maximize it's use, while still making the best beer possible. I have a lager that's been in there now for 9 days and almost done, around the time I'd do a diacetyl rest anyway, and I am brewing an ale tomorrow. Would there be any issues in removing the lager from the chamber and letting it sit in ambient room temp (basement 60-65f) for a week or so while the ale is in there? And by the same token: can I remove the ale after the bulk of fermentation is done in 5-6 days and get the lager back in there to crash?

I guess generally my question is does a steady temp (my house heat is programmed to go down at night so the basement could fluctuate between 58-68f) have to be maintained through the entire fermentation cycle? Or is it safe to let the temp start floating once a good chunk of the fermentation is done?

Thanks

your plan sounds fine. after the d rest and the ale is done, put the lager back in to lager.

You could also use a water bath for the ale without moving your lager around more than necessary. Depending on the fermentation temperature planned for the ale you may or may not need an ice bottle in the water bath.

I'm in a similar situation with my ferm chamber, and am following the same basic plan. Kolsch was pulled out for D-rest at ambient, and is now back in to lager. I'm guessing both of us will wind up fine.

You could also use a water bath for the ale without moving your lager around more than necessary. Depending on the fermentation temperature planned for the ale you may or may not need an ice bottle in the water bath.

Why would it matter if they moved the lager around? It should still be actively fermenting and moving it won't stir it up any more than the yeast will. I'd rather do it the way the OP suggested instead of messing with a water bath.

Back