How long can we store the malted grain safely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingWisdom

Reaction score
Hi
How long can I keep the malted and crushed wheat/barley grains safely? Would any packet will work or it need to be a air tight bag?
The upcoming months here are dry and hot without any moisture, so i guess there shouldn't be any problem.

Dry and room temperature is best. Airtight is critical to keeping bugs & critters out. I store mine in Vittles Vaults and buckets with gamma lids.

Uncrushed grains keep longer than crushed grains. I tend to get rid of my uncrushed grains after about a year in storage, but I know others keep it around longer. Smell and taste your grain. If it smells/tastes fine, then it's fine to brew with.

If you are only talking about 3-6 months then probably not much to worry about other than just keep it dry and the bugs out.

Obviously you don't want it to get moisture inside the bags or containers otherwise you risk mold and bad stuff growing to toxic levels that is on every grain and malt you buy.

If for some reason the grain or malt you buy has a high enough moisture content to sweat under the conditions you store it in, then that's bad too.

When maltsters offer sacks of pre-crushed grains they tend to have the same shelf life as whole grains, but they assume they are kept in a good storage environment. Crushed grains absorb moisture more easily, which is the biggest problem. Once the moisture content creeps up biology starts working, including microbial growth, mold, etc. Best bet is to store crushed grains in vacuum sealed bags kept in a cool, dry, dark place. As close to this as possible. At least in a sealed food-safe container of some kind.

When maltsters offer sacks of pre-crushed grains they tend to have the same shelf life as whole grains, but they assume they are kept in a good storage environment. Crushed grains absorb moisture more easily, which is the biggest problem. Once the moisture content creeps up biology starts working, including microbial growth, mold, etc. Best bet is to store crushed grains in vacuum sealed bags kept in a cool, dry, dark place. As close to this as possible. At least in a sealed food-safe container of some kind.
That's why I ordered large zip lock airtight plastic bags đź‘Ť

Latest posts

Back