How long can i dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolkphoto

Reaction score
Brewing an ipa today. I plan on letting it sit in primary for 10'ish days, and then dry hopping. Problem is...the wife and I are going to Germany for 2 weeks on the 21st, and I doubt the first thing I do when I get home is keg the beer. So we are looking at potentially 3 weeks of dry hopping. I know 2 weeks around here seems to be the norm for dry hopping. Any issues doing it 3-4 weeks in secondary? Shall I let it secondary an dry hop in the kegerator?

While we're at it....anyone got any beer/travel tips for Germany? Hitting Berlin, Munich, and Salzburg. Planning on having small day trips in near by towns too. I'm planning on renting a 7 series BMW for a day and hauling a$$ on the autobahn. SWMBO doesn't know that yet...

I'd leave it in primary for the duration.

Dry hop it the day/evening before you fly out and then keg it when you can, upon your return. I know there are plenty of people that also dry hop in the keg, which is another option. You can get the stainless hop balls to hold the hops (assuming you're using whole hops) or the nylon hop bags. That way, if you can pull the hops out when you wish.

I would also just leave it in primary for longer.

When you're in Berlin, if you have to time I definitely recommend taking the very short train ride to Potsdam for a day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

And stock up on bottles and glassware at Bier-Spezialitäten-Laden, Karl-Marx Allee 56, 10243 Berlin, Germany

Why not just leave it in the primary and dry hop when you get back?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll just dry hop right before I leave.

Why not dry hop when I get back? Cause I'm gonna need something to drink when I get back.

I just returned from Berlin 2 weeks ago. Visited Berliner Republik twice! Google map it. Tremendous selection of pilsners, alts, and a couple Kolsch's.

You would be fine dry.hoping that long..but if your not kegging it as soon as you get home than just dry hop as soon as you get home and keg 1 week later. I do not like to dry hop longer than a week...leafy vegetal starts..now I dry hop for maybe 3 days..works fine..i crash cool than for a day or 2 and keg.

Back