How long can a lager sit in primary after fermentation is over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmeister

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer that can fit two 6.5 gal carboys and right now I have two lagers in this chamber. One is a Bock that I brewed ten days before the other, which is a munich dunkel. The Bock fermentation finished w/ a D. rest at 17 days after pitch. After this D. rest I put the Bock back in the chamber at 50 degrees with the Munich Dunkel. It's now on day 20 for the bock, and day 10 for the munich dunkel which is still fermenting pretty strong.
My question is: Should I worry about the bock sitting in the primary for too long at its 50 degree ferment temp? What I plan to do is wait for the Munich Dunkel to finish, give it a D. rest outside the chamber, rack both to secondary and then slowly decrease the thermostat to its lagering temp of 36 degrees.
Or maybe I should rack the Bock now to secondary to get it off the yeast cake? I just can't cool it down past 50 degrees until the M. D. is done.
Thanks for the help. For an Ale I wouldn't worry about it sitting in the primary for just a week or two after ferment is done, but I'm new to brewing lagers, and I'm not sure if different rules apply.

Back