How long before hop flavours fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob7

Reaction score
I've been looking around and found out that if I leave a beer too long the aroma and flavour of the hops will start to fade, but I couldn't work out exactly how long it takes for this to start happening.

I was planning to brew an extract IPA in a few weeks time, but I'd have to leave it at my university accomodation for about 3 months over summer, and was worried it wouldn't taste as good when I got back. I can't take it back to my parent's house over summer because there isn't enough room in the car (when buying all my equipment I forgot that I'd have to move out!)

The recipe I've found is for a 6 gallon batch with:
3.5oz Challenger at 60 miutes
1.3oz Cascade at 20 minutes
1.3oz Cascade at flameout
1.3oz Cascade dryhopped for a week

Does this sound hoppy enough to be left for 3 months without losing too much flavour?

It will still be hoppy after three months. Ideally, after becoming fully carbonated (~4 weeks), you should refrigerate it to keep the hoppiness as fresh as possible.

However, I do not think you will dissapointed.

i agree with the responses above. hold off dry hopping until the very end. let bottle condition for 4 weeks after adding priming sugar. refrigerate after 4 weeks conditioning.

i have a 6 pack of Founders Centennial IPA that i've had since the end of last year. the hops aroma has badly degraded in that 4 to 6 month span.

Brew it now, and you could be drinking it as soon as your exams are over, and not have to leave it for 3 months.

It will still be a tasty brew. Take a few bottles home with you to see what it is like fresh, and then compare with the main batch when you get back.

Back