How long before determining rhizome is dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deleted

Reaction score
First year planting and I ended up planting 4 different varieties and 2 rhizomes each. Did plenty of reading and got a nice mixture of dirt and manure and covered slightly at ground level with an inch or two of dirt and then mulch on top of that.

Initially all but two had popped through which was great..... figured the other two were just lagging behind but its been probably a month and nothing. So are these just DOA or should I give them more time?

On one of them something ate all but one leaf..... I figured perhaps this guy will survive... then a few days later it ate the rest of the leaf!! Now its been a couple weeks and this guy isn't popping through the ground...... so another one dead?

Interested on your thoughts based on your experiences in growing them.... I spend a good amount of effort building a 17' trellis and it's sad I am missing 3 of these guys....

Bummer. :(

... Some Homebrew stores will replace rhizomes that don't grow, but if animals are eating them, you need to do something about that first.

Last edited:
Back