How Long After Bottling Until Cider is Ready

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So I bottled 8 gallons of cider last night. Just want to know how long until they are ready to drink. Ive read that they age like a wine so the longer they sit in the bottle the better. Also should they age in the refrigerator?

2-3 weeks for drinkable ciders. Hide 24 bottles to drink in 6 months.

The ones I'm gonna put aside for some time should they just be kept at room temperature or refrigerated?

Room temp is fine, i'm sure the lower the better but i'm to cheap to store that long in a refrigerator...(I also probably would drink them.) I store them in my laundry room with the furnace, so there can be temp swings, but they tend to turn out ok.

I bottled a AJC batch of hard cider May 6th, 2013, and it was just an experiment in hard cider. I don't remember much about brewing it, so I can't really give any specifics, but when I bottled it I wasn't expecting much. About week ago, I opened a bottle that had been in the fridge for 5 or 6 days just to see if it was worth drinking or not. It was worth drinking, and I wanted to have another. I didn't, as there are only 4 or 5 bottles left. I had another batch of cider going at the same time, only made from fresh apples I had juiced. I can hardly wait to open one for Thanksgiving.

EDIT: Although there is no hard data on long term storage at "high" temps or swinging temps, if possible, keep them away from light as well. I put mine in the hall/coat closet. Dark, cool, as fairly stable temps too.

Back