how it all begun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
For years I looked at this small scrubby tree in my backyard that every other year would bear this little purple fruit. From time to time I would pick a fruit an try it. It was bitter as hell an with a bite it would dry out my mouth like cardboard so I never gave the ugly over grow bushy thing much thought. Then I got married an the new wife moved in. Since we both have a love affair with wine she put the idea in my head to make wine with the fruit. I thought OK. Why not. That next year it didn't bear fruit. So we waited still not putting much thought into wine making itself. When it finally gave us fruit, We looked up a recipe did a bit of recurch. We figured out what kind of tree it was a "Damson plum" the dark skin an lime green flesh turned a blood red when we mashed them. That in itself awwed me. We fallowed the recipe then pitched the yeast. Buy the next day the yeast were having there party there was foam on the top the must seemed to be moving by itself and the bucket felt warm. My second awww! Omg! This thing is really alive!! So then we waited and followed tips from a local wine supply shop. To me it was like nurturing a child. But not really understanding the important of patients yet and we wanted to give our wine as gifts for x mas we bottled 3mo later..... Yup to this date most of our first wine has ended up the floors, walls, and ceilings of my friends,family and my own place. One of the many lessons learned from that first batch. A year later I've done 12 different types of wines 200+ bottles and I am still learning on how to take Care of,nurture and to make them better. Also getting ready to give that plum another shot since she gave us fruit again for the second year in a row.

Back