How is mead supposed to smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdclong

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for years. Last year I decided to try making a mead. I had never tried mead before, but it sounded good. I've now done 3 meads - JAOM, a lemonade mead, and a grape mead. The flavor of all 3 turned out fine, but the aroma is a bit off putting. I'd describe it as "chemically", if that's a word. My friend said it smelled like paint thinner. Having never tried anyone elses mead, I have no basis for comparison, but I can't imagine it's supposed to smell that way... any way to counter act that smell?

My friend said it smelled like paint thinner. Having never tried anyone elses mead, I have no basis for comparison, but I can't imagine it's supposed to smell that way... any way to counter act that smell?
Define where this smell is coming from ... from the ferementor???....from the bottle or glass????...not to mention your "friend " stated so.....what is your impression??? How does it taste to YOU??? Also, how old is this batch.... young meads can be harsh - if it tastes OK to you now, it'll be better with age (leave your friend out out of the loop, perhaps...)

Define where this smell is coming from ... from the ferementor???....from the bottle or glass????...not to mention your "friend " stated so.....what is your impression??? How does it taste to YOU??? Also, how old is this batch.... young meads can be harsh - if it tastes OK to you now, it'll be better with age (leave your friend out out of the loop, perhaps...)

fermentor, bottle, glass, all has the same odor... it smells like really strong alcohol, it overpowers any fruit smell. I haven't noticed it mellowing with age. It tastes fine. The aroma is the issue.

What yeast strains have you used?
And what temperature is that area you ferment in?

Could be a mix of fussel alcohols and Co2 trapped in suspension which can cause a burning sensation when you smell it in mead and things like soda.

Back